Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  2003 Graduate
14008320

I have a small koi pond with 3 ten year old koi. I had the

Customer Question

I have a small koi pond with 3 ten year old koi. I had the water changed yesterday and all my small mosquito fish died. The pond person put in anti chlorine and anti ammonia liquid. I called a fish store and she tested the water which was okay but she thought it was a bacterial infection. All of the mosquito fish have now died. I put in a mild natural antibiotic but the koi are on the surface breathing. I put in good bacteria as well earlier today...nothing seems to be helping. There is a water fall. Changed the water because it had turned bright green....Any suggestions?
Category: Pet
Expert:  Anna replied 2 years ago.
I apologize that no one responded to your question earlier. I was not online at the time you posted your question last night, and am not sure why I was being shown as online. I just logged on and saw your question. I'm sorry to hear of this problem. Despite what the fish store woman said, the symptoms do point to a problem with the water. The first thing we need to do is get a good water test. Testing with paper strips that you dip in the water does not give accurate results. You need to use a test kit with test tubes and chemicals you add to water samples. Also, despite what the test kits say, there is no such thing as "OK" water. It's either optimal or it's not.
So, the first thing I need to know is the ammonia and nitrite content numbers in parts per million (ppm), and also the pH, and the water temperature. Once we have that information, we can begin to figure out what to do.
Thank you.
Anna