Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

Can i use similisan pinkeye drops on my cat.he has a bit of

Customer Question

can i use similisan pinkeye drops on my cat.he has a bit of irritation in one eye?
Category: Pet
Expert:  Dr. John replied 2 years ago.
Hello. Thanks for writing in. I would not recommend using this product. It has belladonna in it, which is toxic to cats. It can case an elevated heart rate, hallucinations, respiratory failure and depression. All parts of the plant are toxic, so I would not risk it. Usually, eye problems in cats are related to a herpes viral infection, especially if there has been a history of upper respiratory infections, but there are other bacteria and viruses that can cause it. If his eye seems to be bothering him, he may have a scratch on the cornea. The safest thing to use would be an artificial tears solution, but if not resolving in a couple days or getting worse at anytime, you really need to have your vet check it out. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.