Pet

Get pet questions answered by pet Experts

My koi is not able to stay on the surface to get food. He…

Customer Question
my koi is not able...
my koi is not able to stay on the surface to get food. He can swim but stays mostly on the button of the pond.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Pet
7/3/2015
Pet Specialist: Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist replied 3 years ago
Anna
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist

I apologize that no one has responded to your question sooner. Different experts come online at various times. I just came online and saw your question. My name is ***** ***** I’m a biologist with a special interest in fish. I'm sorry to hear of this problem. If you still need help, some additional information will be useful.

Is the fish actually unable to swim to the surface, or does it just prefer to stay on the bottom?

Do you know if it is male or female?

Is there any swelling of the lower abdomen, right in front of the pectoral fins?

How many other koi are in the pond?

Thank you.

Anna