Dr. Whitehead
Dr. Whitehead, Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, internship trained, with 5 years of experience in high quality practice treating dogs, cats, and some exotics.
13146597

My cat received a steroid shot yesterday and today She is holding

Customer Question

My cat received a steroid shot yesterday and today She is holding her head down and breathing fast
Category: Pet
Expert:  Dr. Whitehead replied 2 years ago.
Hello there. I am sorry to hear about Brenna and how she is acting tonight. I am happy to help you this evening. I am very concerning that she is holding her head down and breathing fast. Changes in cats breathing is always a major concern and it would be strongly recommended to have her seen tonight by a vet to be evaluated. She needs to be examined and have her chest listened to and have x rays done to make sure she doesn't have any pneumonia or anything else going on that could cause these changes. It could be related to pain and discomfort but it is always a major concern. Holding her head down is also a concerning negative thing because it could be pain or it could be her trying to breath better. So she should absolutely be seen to figure out what is going on and hopefully getting relief. I would be concerned that waiting until morning could mean worsening of clinical signs or causing her to be in pain all night. So again she should definitely be evaluated as soon as possible to receive treatment. I hope this helps and I hope this makes sense. Please do not hesitate to ask if you have any further questions or concerns. I would be happy to help. Please do not forget to rate my response so I receive credit for my time. Thank you!