Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

I have a 5 month old bunny pip she was fine tonight and

Customer Question

Hello I have a 5 month old bunny pip she was fine tonight and all of a sudden starting having spazams then she would lay with her legs out flat but kind of hunched over then she calms down and looks to be ok, this only happens when you move her as she is an inside bunny .. What is wrong and what can I do??
Category: Pet
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. If those "spasms" indicate seizures - please describe them to me as best you can; does she lose consciousness, does she become incontinent? - I have to consider the two most common cause of seizures in rabbits - a parasite called Encephalitzoon cuniculi or a bacterial infection - Pasteurella multocida - in her central nervous system. The parasite is treated with fenbendazole and the bacteria is treated with enrofloxacin or ciprofloxacin. You'll need to have a bunny-oriented vet prescribe these drugs.
Please respond with additional information and further questions or concerns if you wish.