Anna
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist
Experience:  40 yrs.: herps, pocket pets, rabbits, poultry, dogs, horses. Biology degree. Vet assistant.
6012901

My daughter has a hamster and the is a lump on its side he

Customer Question

My daughter has a hamster and the is a lump on its side he has had it for awhile but in the last few days it has gotten bigger and is now red. What could it be . I am trying to look for a vet in the area where we live. I am not sure if he can be treated or if putting him down would be more humane. We have had him for about three years .
Category: Pet
Expert:  Anna replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome. Thank you for requesting me. You have apparently done a great job of taking care of Spark because a three-year-old hamster is the equivalent of a human in their late nineties.
As hamsters get older, they become more prone to some diseases that can't be treated. Some of their organs can become embedded with minerals. Cancer also becomes common in senior hamsters. Lumps such as Spark has can be cancer, benign tumors, or abscesses. Any of these lumps can become red and even burst under the right circumstances. You can read more about hamster old age here:
http://www.hilltopanimalhospital.com/hamsters.htm
Even at age three, there's a slight possibility that it may be something treatable. If you want to be certain about this, you should make an appointment with a vet. What you may want to do is have the vet examine Spark. If the illness can be treated, treatment can begin. If it is something that can't be treated, the most humane thing to do might be to have the vet end your hamster's suffering. Making that difficult decision is hard for us, but is many times the kindest thing for our pets. It can still be hard to find a vet who treats pocket pets, but not as difficult as it was 15 years ago. The following sites will have directories of vets who treat small rodents. At the first site, you'll come to a log-in page. Sign in as 'member' and use 'member' as your password ***** well.
http://www.rmca.org/Vets/index.php?action=list
http://www.ratfanclub.org/vetref.html
If you have more concerns or questions, just let me know by clicking on REPLY. I'm sorry not to have better news for you. It's always painful to watch a beloved pet grow old and frail.
Anna
My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service only after you have all the information you need. Thank you!