Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I have a guinea pig that is losing fur around his eye. Any

Customer Question

I have a guinea pig that is losing fur around his eye. Any ideas? I have a photo but I don't know how to send it.
Category: Pet
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Is it just around one eye?

Has the eye(s) been tearing?

Any scales or crusting on this skin?

What diet is he fed?

Is he rubbing or itching this area?

Photos would be great, since it does let me see what you are seeing. To post them you can either use the wee paper clip on the tool bar. Or if you cannot see that on your phone/computer, then you can post them on any site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, Imgr etc) and paste the web address here for me to have a peek.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It is just around one eye.
No tearing.
Not really crusting.
He is getting the piggy food from Pet Co that they told me to get, along with vitamin c drops and Timothy hay. He also like carrots and broccoli.
I haven't seen him rub or itch.
Photo: https://m.facebook.com/116118261732019/photos/a.468975466446295.111168.116118261732019/1000469586630211/?type=1&source=48
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you Callie,

Now based on the location and appearance of this lesion, this looks highly suspicious of ringworm. Other considerations for what you are seeing would be mites and bacterial infection.

Now with this so close to Sven's eye, we do need to tread with care. The reason is because when lesions are right by the eye, we often need to use systemic/oral treatment to clear this. Still, since your photo does look like we have a wee bit of space between the lesion and eye, we can potentially treat topically. Therefore, if you use great care, we can usually treat mild lesions by cleansing it 2-3 times daily with dilute chlorohexidine (which helps for the fungi and bacteria), drying, and then applying an OTC miconazole cream onto the lesion. Generally speaking, we tend to need to treat 10-14 days, but need to make sure to keep treating a few days past resolution (to remove all the spores). As well, we need to keep him isolated and wear gloves when doing all of this, since ringworm is contagious to both people and other animals.

Overall, this lesion looks highly suspicious of ringworm. Therefore, if it isn't extending right up to the eye, you can try the above. But if it is too close or if it doesn't settle with treatment, then we'd need this tested by your local vet and systemic/oral treatment dispensed to clear this for him.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )