Pet

Get pet questions answered by pet Experts

My one year old ***** ***** mix all of the sudden stopped…

Customer Question
My one year old *****...
My one year old ***** ***** mix all of the sudden stopped eating his hard food and is reluctant to drink water and has been sleepy with red droopy eyes. We thought this was because recently I moved and we have a shared custody sort of arrangement. I rushed over after work got him to eat a few pieces of lunch meat and some wet dog food. Still not much of an appetite. Took him outside to try to get him to play. He was very excited and ran into a deflated basketball full speed which is common but he yelped and was afraid to touch it with his snout again. He still tried to play and got the courage to do it again but again he yelped in pain. Is it possible a foxtail got in his nose or maybe the kids accidentally hit him with something? We are going to the vet tomorrow but I'm concerned
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Pet
6/11/2015
Pet Specialist: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
How long has this been going on?
Will he eat soft foods at all?
Will he let you open his mouth all the way? Any sores, lumps, redness, or changes to his teeth? Anything caught in the roof of his mouth?
Any discharges from his nose? If so, what color and which nostril?
Any puffiness, swelling, or sore areas on his face or snout?
Any sneezing, snorting or rubbing of his face?
This just started yesterday morning. He will eat soft foods but minimally he won't let me open his mouth all the way. Have to force it but that's normal. No snorting or sneezing. I do have foxtails at my new place and just noticed them this morning which is alarming. He was first exposed to them Monday night. He had a small piece of stick on the left side of his mouth but after hours did not change his behavior. Looks slightly swollen on the left side of his snout. His eyes are squinted and he's really sleepy. Normally very energetic
We took custody of this dog and another small pup when their owners couldn't afford them anymore. We were told only the dog with the condition received his first set of shots
Thank you,
Now I would be less suspicious about foxtails up his nose if he is not showing snorting, sneezing, discharge, or pawing at his muzzle. This is because those are our common signs for irritants lurking in the nasal cavities. Instead, based on his reaction when playing and struggles eating, I would be more concerned about what may be present in his mouth (ie wounds, sores, etc) or even more so whether he has had a blunt force trauma to his face. Furthermore, with those red eyes, sleepiness, and slight swelling, an insect sting or bite would be another concern high on our list here.
With all this in mind, in regards ***** ***** to this situation, I would note that if he has a slight swelling that is causing him discomfort, you can cool compress that for him. As well, since his signs all fit with a bee/wasp/spider sting, I would note that you can also consider starting him on an antihistamine to reduce any of those causing him bother. Commonly we will use Benadryl (Diphenhydramine) at a low dose of 0.5mg per pound of body weight twice daily. We like to keep the dose low in our pets, as they can have drowsiness with this medication (just like people). And of course, this medication shouldn't be used if your wee one has any pre-existing conditions or is on any other medication without speaking to your vet first. But if we have a sting, this will help soothe that along with the cool compresses.
Overall, those would be our concerns for Rico's signs. As long as we know he hasn't suffered a major blow to the head, we can consider the above approach for him. And if we can soothe those signs, then we'd hope to see him start eating and drinking for us again. Of course, if you do so but the signs don't settle or he seems very sore, then we'd want to have a check with his vet to pinpoint which of the above is present and get him onto some dog safe anti-inflammatories (ie Metacam Rimadyl, Onsior, etc) to reduce those signs for him and get him back to being his normal bouncy self.
Please take care,
Dr. B.
Thank you. He loves bugs too. We have lots of black widows and that scares me. He will bat at and chew on any bug he sees. Does this sound like a toxicity case? He's a little over a year old. I'm sorry but I'm an overly worried mother.
You are very welcome,
No worries,my dear. In this case, it sounds more sore sting then toxicity for Rico. So as long as his gum color is good and his breathing is comfortable, then I'd advise the above to see if we can settle this for him and get him more comfortable with his sore wee face.
Take care and all the best,
Dr. B
Hi Lorena,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Rico. How is everything going?

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian