Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Previous Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
23185754

My ShihTzu is 17 and is having pain walking, not eating or

Customer Question

My ShihTzu is 17 and is having pain walking, not eating or drinking much. Tried Neurontin. and Metacam by vet but Kira had black diahrrea so I stoppd it. Is there a natural product I can give her to ease pain Rita ***@******.***
Category: Pet
Expert:  Candy replied 2 years ago.
Hello. I am so sorry to hear your little one is not doing well. My name is ***** ***** I have been a veterinary nurse for 26 years. I would be happy to help I just have a few questions so I can better assist you.
The Metacam is most like the cause of the black diarrhea did the Neurontin help at all?
Did your vet do blood work if so were there any abnormalities?
What does your vet think is causing the pain, arthritis, spinal degeneration etc?
When did the eating slow down, what is Kira eating and how much?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Vet did blood work. All normal. She thinks it is joint related. She has been on enalapril for years and heart is fine also. She stopped eating much then went on neurontin . I think it helped a little. She only weighs 9 lbs so I am hesitant to give her strong medicine and also because of her age. Any ideas??

Expert:  Candy replied 2 years ago.
Thank you very much.
If this is joint pain or arthritis related then there are some things we can try.
1. Glucosamine in combination with chondroitin sulfate 250 mgs twice daily. Some health food stores will sell a glucosamine combined with white willow bark and that works great as well
2. Omega fatty acids. These not only help lubricate the joints like the Glucosamine does but these also have natural anti inflammatory properties.These are also a great supplement for the heart, brain and eyes.
3. Adequan. This is a once a month injection that helps with joint pain so defiantly something to discuss with your vet. This link as more information on this medication http://www.adequancanine.us/
I would also ask your vet if anyone in your area does acupuncture or cold laser therapy as both are very helpful for joint, muscle and spinal pain in senior dogs.
It is really important that we keep her eating as well. I am not sure what food you normally feed but you could try adding some canned Merrick brand food. This food is very similar to humane foods and we use this most often for picky dogs as it is hard to refuse.
You can also try cooking for here, boiled hamburger or chicken, white potatoes, white rice, squash, scrambled eggs, green beans, carrots,small amounts of sweet potato or broccoli can all be used to make a home made diet. If you opt to do this then you would want to give a dog specific multivitamin daily.
I hope this helps.Please reply back if you have additional questions and I will be happy to help. If you have no additional questions, please take a few minutes to provide a rating before exiting the site so I am compensated by Justanswer for assisting you.
Candy