Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc.
9138059

My puppy isnt eating and he had diarrhea

Customer Question

hi
my puppy isnt eating and he had diarrhea
Category: Pet
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 2 years ago.
Hi there,
Thank you for your question regarding your young puppy Rocky that has just come through to me. There are a large number of reasons as to why this could have started your boy's diarrhea. Potential causes could include anything from intestinal worms, to simple gastroenteritis or even an obstruction in his bowel! If he hasn't had any vaccinations - parvo is also a real possibility here as well!
I would recommend witholding food for 12 hours and try him again tomorrow morning. Also just feed him bland food such as cooked chicken breast and rice for the next 24 hours. To try and encourage him to drink, you could try making a warm chicken broth, by boiling some chicken in water, then sieving this and giving him the luke-warm broth. You could also use some pedialyte if he will drink it.
If he has ongoing abdominal pain or diarrhea this evening then I really recommend you get this boy to the vet tomorrow morning. In the meantime, please keep a close eye on Rocky's mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate tonight as follows:
Mucus membranes - flip his lip and look at the color of his gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get him to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.
Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on his gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.
Respiratory Rate - if he is continuously panting throughout the day this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.
Best of luck with Rocky and please keep me posted on how things go! Hopefully he will go for the chicken broth, otherwise you will need to get him straight down to your local ER Vet to have him put on intravenous fluids to rehydrate him.
I hope all of the above makes sense? Please let me know if you have any other questions. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!
Kind Regards,
Dr E
Bonuses & positive feedback are always welcomed and very much appreciated
If you have any further questions in the future, I would be more than happy to help you again! Just bookmark my profile and ask a question via the question box.
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 2 years ago.
Hi there,
I thought I would check in to see how Rocky is doing today. How was he throughout the rest of the day? Did you take him in to your local vet for a full check up?
It would be great to get an update when you get a chance.
Kind Regards,
Dr E
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 2 years ago.
Hi Nafeisha,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Rocky. How is everything going?

Pet Doc