Pet

Get pet questions answered by pet Experts

My betta is sick. Not eating and seems to be in pain when…

Customer Question
My betta is sick....
My betta is sick. Not eating and seems to be in pain when swimming. Going on 2 weeks of this
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Pet
6/5/2015
Pet Specialist: Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist replied 3 years ago
Anna
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist
Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I’m a biologist with a special interest in fish. I'm sorry to hear of this problem.
I suspect that at age 3, your betta is simply aging. While some have lived longer than 5 years, most live 2 to 3 years. We don't know how old your fish was when you bought him, so he may be even older than three. I’ll give you some general measures that may help.
Make sure the temperature is maintained steadily at 78*F to 80*F. that is optimal for a betta. It may help your fish to add 1/2 teaspoon of aquarium salt per 1/2 gallon of water with the water change. Adding Stress Coat (available at pet stores) according to directions on the bottle with each water change will also help.
There’s also a natural medicine called Betta Fix which I recommend adding to the water . You should be able to buy it in most pet stores. It is antibacterial, but also serves as a general tonic. It’s safe to use aquarium salt, Stress Coat, and Betta Fix at the same time.
Try these measures for a day. If there's no change, your best decision may be to humanely end his suffering.We can't reverse aging, and he is likely to get sicker. If you want to know the humane way to euthanize a fish, let me know in a REPLY. (There's no additional fee).
I hope the steps I described above will help. Let me know if you need anything else.
Anna
My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service only after you have all the information you need. Thank you!