Pet

Get pet questions answered by pet Experts

We took our rabbit to the veterinarian, who diagnosed

Customer Question
Hello! We took our rabbit to...
Hello!
We took our rabbit to the veterinarian, who diagnosed that our rabbit had ingested some sort of toxin (fertilizer, bug spray, etc.). He kept him for 2 days and gave him an IV to flush out the toxin. We brought him home because he was getting a little bit better. We took him in a second time for them to flush him out again. (I'd like to ask you because our vet is not going to be back in until Thursday). Bailey (rabbit) is even more lethargic and cannot lift himself up to move. My daughter read online that a mango can cause cyanide poisoning in rabbits, and we realized that we had given him a mango seed before he became ill. If the mango can be the cause of all of this, is there anything type of home remedy that we can use to help him? Thank you for any advice that you can give us.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Pet
6/3/2015
Pet Specialist: Joan, Vet Technician replied 3 years ago
Joan
Joan, Vet Technician
My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet Tech for 30+ years with special interest in small Mammals and Exotics.
It is true that mangos and seeds contain trace amounts of cyanide. It is common in all seeds of fruits. In a case like this the best treatment is to keep fluids going in and food is most important in a Rabbit to prevent a GI stasis.
What I recommend is to to dilute Pedialyte and syringe feed every 30 mins to keep fluids going in. For food Critical care for Herbivores http://www.oxbowanimalhealth.com/vets/products/critical_care: would be my first choice to keep the gut going.
If you do not have that, then grind pellets in a coffee grinder into a fine powder and mix with the Pedialyte and water and syringe feed in small increments throughout the day. We have to have food going in to keep the gut working. I would also get some BeneBac at the Pet shop which is a Probiotic to help the gut working and digesting what is going in.
Make sure he has plenty of good grass hay available at all times. The key will be to keep food ad fluids going in to flush the kidneys and if he gets worse see an ER Vet for an IV fluid Drip, which will help until you see your Vet.
I hope this helps. I will be here for questions.
Joan