Pet

Get pet questions answered by pet Experts

My guinea pig broke it's top two front teeth. Do I need to…

Customer Question
My guinea pig broke it's...
My guinea pig broke it's top two front teeth. Do I need to mash food up for him? Will the teeth grow back? What kind of adjustments do I need to make to ensure his health?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Pet
5/31/2015
Pet Specialist: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 3 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
How severely were they broken?
Do they have even or jagged edges?
Loose at all?
How is his appetite just now?
The teeth are evenly broken but a bit above the gum line. He's appetite is good. I have been giving him some lettuce, green pepper, and Timothy hay with his normal pellet food. He doesn't seem to be in pain.
Thank you,
I am glad to hear that your lad is comfortable despite this accident and that the teeth are evenly broken without any sharp or uneven edges.
Now the good news here, is that cavies have open rooted teeth. This means that where you and I would be in trouble with we broke our teeth, guinea pigs will regrow their teeth. So, with time (as long as he didn't damage the root), we should see these regrow and get back to normal within the next few months.
Now in regards ***** ***** question about feeding, we can offer soft food if he needs it. Though if he can eat his hay, pellets, veggies, and eat enough to keep his weight stable, then we don't necessarily have to. Therefore, you can soak pellets, feed veggie baby food, use critical care diets (ie Oxbow, Supreme, etc), or even crush pellets into baby food for syringe feeding. But we only need to follow his lead and support him as he needs us to. So, if he can comfortably eat his normal food and we keep an eye that he doesn't lose weight, then we don't need to necessarily make any changes.
Overall, he is a lucky we lad to be of a species that will regrow these teeth. So, monitor him closely and make the above adjustments over the next few months as needed for him. But overall, as long as he didn't damage the root, we'd expect these to regrow and this to only be a short term issue for him.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Hi Yvonne,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.