Joan
Joan, Vet Technician
Experience:  Vet Tech for 35+yrs. Small Animals and Fish
5071285

My hamster who is a robo dwarf has been running around

Customer Question

Hi. My hamster who is a robo dwarf has been running around the side of her tank in just one corner and won't stop for a good hour. I believe she might have a nerological disorder and I noticed it happens when I change the theme of her cage or clean it. She will do it for a good hour on and of.
Category: Pet
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
She has done it multiple times before and I've even caught her doing it in the middle of the night. Or when she's awake. She still eats and drinks like normal but every so often she'll do this
Expert:  Joan replied 2 years ago.
My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet Tech for 30+ years with special interest in small mammals and exotics.
I believe the behavior you are seeing is due to the changes in the habitat that you memtioned. Hamsters like to make their habitat their own and when you are cleaning or changing the hamster does not realize it is the same habitat, so what he is doing is running in areas and marking his territory with her scent glands.
This is not uncommon when there is any changes in the existing habitat. Hamsters have scent glands on their body that allows them o mark territory. These scent glands are located in the ventral midline close to the umbilical area.
I do want to alert you to the fact the Dwarf Hamsters are predisposed to Diabetes, so please make sure the diet you are feeding is a good mix of high quality foods as well as some fresh veggies.
I hope this has addressed your concerns and that you will take a moment to rate my service Positive, so I can be compensated for my time and answer.
Joan