Pet

Get Pet Questions Answered by Pet Experts

Pet

Your question: "My cat has a burst abscess. NO fever but abscess

Customer Question
has been draining for a...
Your question: "My cat has a burst abscess. NO fever but abscess has been draining for a week. Spraying it with ionic silver and low concentration of H202. She is eating etc and acting normal. I want to take her to a vet but don't want antibiotics. Any suggestions.

Tha..
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Pet
5/26/2015
Pet Specialist: Candy, Veterinary Technician replied 2 years ago
Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Hello. I am sorry to hear that you cat has an abscess. My name is ***** ***** I have been a veterinary nurse for 26 years. I would be happy to help I just have a few questions so I can better assist you.
Where is the abscess?
Has the discharge decreased at all since the abscess ruptured?
How often are you using the Peroxide
Can you tell me where you are located ( city& State)

abscess is on her upper rear leg area. discharge is less than at first. Spraying a few times per day. I am in Southern MD

part of the abscess is pink, part is white crusty

I got disconnected

I am in Huntingtown Maryland

Thank you .
The thing about abscesses is that they can cause a system wide infection and I have seen cats become very ill from these. The good thing is that it is draining but to be draining for this long is a concern. She may need to have a drain placed so that it can drain faster and allow the wound to start healing from the inside.
I would stop the use of the peroxide. While good for initial cleaning we never want to use this repeatedly even at low concentrations as this damages the skin and actually impedes healing.The white area could be damaged tissue but should heal up if you stop the peroxide
There are some thing we can do to try to heal the wound, however we do not want it to close up with infection still trapped inside or the abscess will form all over again.
If you are against the use of antibiotics then rather then going to your regular vet I would instead have her seen by a vet that practices holistic/Chinese medicine. I say this because holistic treatments especially herbs can have dangerous side effects more often in cats then dogs so it is important that things are dosed specific to her needs.
I have a list of holistic vets in MD and hopefully one of these will be close to you .
Here is a link to the ones in MD. If for some reason this link does not give you the list in MD just click on the find a vet and then pick MD from the state section.
http://www.ahvma.org/find-a-holistic-veterinarian/
Until you can get her in I would clean the wound daily using Betadine diluted with water to the color of tea, you want to clean it enough that you keep it from scabbing over until it is done draining. Manuka honey is great for pulling and preventing bacterial infections in wounds.
This honey has to be purchased at a health food store. You can apply the honey once a day in between cleaning cover with a non stick gauze pad and then use a sock on the leg. A children sock with the toe cut out works as a great wound cover for cats.
I would try to find a holistic vet as mentioned above and get established with them, They will be able to help treat her holistically not only for this but for any problems that may come up in the future.
I hope this helps . Please reply back if you have additional questions and I will be happy to continue.
If you have no additional questions please take the time to provide a rating to close out the question. Closing the question does not mean that you can not come back for follow up as the question is always open to you. It simply closes it on my end so I can assist other pet owners. I strive to provide excellent service so please reply back if I can be of additional assistance.
Candy
Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician