Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Previous Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
23185754

What type of bug looks like a ladybug but is brown?

Customer Question

Category: Pet
Expert:  Candy replied 2 years ago.
Hello I would be happy to help. Does this bug have any spots at all? Is the whole body dark brown or is it s brownish orange color? Where are you seeing these bugs?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes spots my basement I live in NY

Expert:  Candy replied 2 years ago.
Thank you. While I can not be 100% sure, this looks like a type of carpet beetle. These feed on not only carpets but other fabrics , lint, pet hair etc. I would check any boxes or other things that you may have stored in the basement that has fabric and just sweep them up and dispose of them as you find them. They do sell sticky pheromone traps to catch these little buggers if you only see a few . Many feed stores carry these but you may have to ask your local pest control. If you take one in with you to the pest control company they can tell you for sure if this is what you are seeing.Here is a link for more information on carpet beetles and how to control them http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn7436.html I hope this helps. Please reply back of you have additional questions and I will be happy to continue. Please note that while you have placed a deposit with Justanswer I am not compensated for my time unless a rating of ok or higher is provided. I strive to provide excellent service so please do not hesitate to reply back if I can be of further assistance.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you so much!!! Do they bite people?

Expert:  Candy replied 2 years ago.
Yes they can and do bite. Their bite is similar to a bed bug and will leave an itchy little bump
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

OMG thank you !!! Will get on this right away !!

Expert:  Candy replied 2 years ago.
You are very welcome.
If no further assistance is needed I would greatly appreciate it if you could take a few minutes to provide a rating so we can close out this question and I am compensated by justanswer
Rating only closes the question off my board it does not close it for you so you can come back at any time for follow up and I will be happy to help at no additional charge
Expert:  Candy replied 2 years ago.

Hi, I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going is there anything else I can assist you with?

If you have no further questions providing a rating of ok ( 3 stars) or higher would be greatly appreciated

Candy