Please help. My goldfish has not been acting right. Swimming to the side and toward the bottom. It still eats but barly.

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: Please help. My goldfish has not been acting right. Swimming to the side and toward the bottom. It still eats but barly. It stays in the back corner. Today I changed the water and put all brand new crystal geyser in it. Hes still doing it and I noticed
a good portion of its top fin is missing. What can I do?
Answered by Jav917 in 19 mins 7 years ago
imglogo
Jav917
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Cat Veterinary, Bird Veterinary, Reptile Veterinary, Exotic Animal Veterinary

Thank-you for requesting me. I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years and a fish keeper for over 40 years.
Can you tell me what size tank you have?
Filtration?
Have you checked water parameters?
What type of test kit did you use?
What are the levels for Ammonia, Nitrites, Nitrates and PH?
Is it the only fish in the tank?
How much water did you change?
Joan
Customer
Hi. I changed all the water. I added a cap full of novaqua plus. And a tablespoon of aquarium salt. It's about a 9 gallon tank. I also put in a packet of triple sulfa. I removed the filter for the treatment it's a tetra tank. I used the tester and all levels were normal when I changed the water
Customer
N03 20
N02 0
PH 7
KH 80
GH 30
Customer
It's staying next to the airator like it needs air even going on top of it sometimes and sucking in the bubbles
Did you test for Ammonia? You did not give a level?
What type of test kit did you use? Strip or test tube kit?
Did you add any nitrifyng bacteria after changing all the water?
Joan
Customer
I used Api I just tested the ammonia and it seems to be at 0
Customer
I have the bacteria should I add a cap full?
Customer
It seems to be doing a little bit better but still swimming to the side a little. I think it has fin rot
We never remove all the water from a tank because whe you do the tank will have to cycle again. By removing the filter and adding medication, you may be doing more harm than good. It sound like befor you did the complete water change you may have had some water quality issues that caused what you ar ssing in the fish. My suggestion is to do a 50% water change. Add 1 teaspoon full of aquarium salt per gallon of water,, which is the accurate dosing, add the nitrifying bacteria to the tank and filter, so we can get the tank cycled. Make sure you have the filtration back on ans working effectively.
The medication you added will throw off the water parameters and with the tank cycling not cause more harm than good. The salt is a tonic and helps bacteria as well as fugal and parasitic issues and the Antibiotic is not needed right now.
You will need to keep a close eye on the tank and water parameters, because during the cycing process it will go through ammonia and nitrite spikes. At that point you will need to do 25% water changes. I also suggest that you add soe Stress Coat to aid with the fin healing.
Ammonia and water parameter issues can cause the problems you are ssing in the fish. I would try the suggestions I have given and see how the fish responds.
Joan
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Jav917
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Jav917
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.