Pet

Get pet questions answered by pet Experts

I just purchased 2 ADF from petsmart. One is active and eats…

Customer Question
I just purchased 2 ADF...
I just purchased 2 ADF from petsmart. One is active and eats well. the other seemed ok til the next ay when i started to see fuzz on his chin. now he seems to have tattered skin shed. Is this fungus?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Pet
11/26/2014
Pet Specialist: Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist replied 3 years ago
Anna
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist
Hello and welcome. Thank you for requesting me. I apologize for the delay-I was not online at the time you posted your question. I'm sorry to hear you are having a problem with your new frog.
What you are seeing may well be fungus, but bacterial infections often appear similar. What looks like skin shed may be a slime that forms and hangs off the frog with these infections. First of all, make sure the water in the tank is heated to the high 70's. There are a couple of ways to approach this.You can try one of the antifungal medications made for fish, but be careful when using fish medications as some of them are toxic to frogs. The bottle should say if a particular one is safe for aquatic frogs.
Another method will treat fungal and bacterial infections You can give the frog a soak in a solution of 2% solution of malachite green for 5 minutes. Malachite green should be available at a pet store or drug store; I'd call and ask first. Repeat this once every 24 hours. If you don't get improvement after three treatments, it's probably not going to work.
Often, once these little frogs get sick, the prognosis is not good. Many of them are ill before you even bring them home from the store, and this is what happened to you. Because it is so difficult to bring them through any illness, you may want to consider returning the frog to the store. A herp vet is another possibility, but you'd have to find one who is comfortable treating these tiny creatures. There is a directory of them her:
http://www.anapsid.org/vets/index.html#vetlist
If you have more questions, let me know in a REPLY. I hope that whatever you decide to do, it will work out well.
Anna
My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service only after you have all the information you need.  Thank you!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Anna