Pet

Get pet questions answered by pet Experts

Hi, I have a sarasa comet who I have had for many years that…

Hi, I have a sarasa...
Hi, I have a sarasa comet who I have had for many years that I am concerned about. He developed a lump 4 years ago which grew to the size of a small pea. Following research and advice I was told it was probably a tumour and not contageous, and that it could be cut off. I couldn't find a vet who would do it, so took advice and did it myself, using a clove oil solution as an anaesthetic. He recovered quickly and has been very happy and active ever since, eating well. The lump returned 2 years ago and has now grown back to the size it was. He has also become a little plump, not like full on dropsy, but definitely swollen. More worryingly, one of the other fish now has a similar but much smaller lump on his head, and it is growing.
I didn't want to euthanise this fish because he seems so well and happy, but if it is contageous then I will do what I have to to protect the others. What do you think?
Many thanks,
Ian
11/23/2014
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Hello, I am afraid that the expert you have requested is not currently available. Still I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Is the tumor smooth or cauliflower shaped?

Does it appear to arise from the underlying muscle under the scales?

If possible, could you take a photo of this? If you can do so and post them online, I am happy to have a look (since it will let me see what you are seeing). To post them, you can either use the wee paper clip on the tool bar (More Info). Or you can post them on a 3rd party site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, Imgr etc) and paste the web address here.

The lump is smooth, it comes from under the scales.

I am sending 3 picture. Sorry, they are all a bit blurred as it's quite dark out (he's in a pond) and he never keeps still!

Thanks,

Ian

Anna
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist
Hello Ian,

I am Anna, the expert you first requested. I am a biologist with a special interest in fish. It seems that Dr. B has logged off now. After reading all your information and looking at the photos, I agree with your first assessment that this is a tumour - most likely a benign one. Tumours are common in goldfish. They do often come back after being removed.

There are no parasites that would live on a fish for this long without completing their life cycle. There are no treatable contagious diseases that would go on this long, either. Carp pox (a variety of herpes virus) can produce lumps, which may be skin-colored or white. However, those lumps are waxy-looking and are on top of the scales. They often come and go and may grow on different parts of the body. While carp pox is contagious, it doesn't seem to cause illness or affect the health of the fish.There is no treatment. So even if that is what this is, you don't need to do anything.

You could remove the lump again, but it isn't interfering with movement, so it might be best just to leave it. Goldfish often live for years with tumours. If the growth on the other fish is identical to this one, it may simply be a coincidence. if it is different, you may want to send along a photo of it, too.

As for the swelling, it is very subtle. It could indicate that there is an age-related internal condition developing. As long as the fish is eating well and active, I would just keep an eye on it. Treating with unnecessary medications does more harm than good.

In summary, a tumour seems most likely. We can't entirely rule out carp pox since it goes on for a long time,and often does return when removed, or when it disappears by itself. In either case, no treatment is needed, and the fish do not become ill from the growths.

If you have more questions, let me know in a REPLY. I hope both fish will continue to do well.

Anna

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service only after you have all the information you need. Thank you!

Thanks very much for you advice. I will leave them for now and just keep an eye on them. Glad I don't have to put him to sleep! Smile

Ian

You're welcome. I certainly wouldn't put them to sleep at this point, either.

Anna
Anna
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist
Anna
Anna
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist