Pet

Get pet questions answered by pet Experts

Hi Our sweet little hamster Mr. Peaches has a lump on his…

Hi Our sweet little hamster Mr...
Hi
Our sweet little hamster Mr. Peaches has a lump on his chest
11/22/2014
Anna
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist
Hello and welcome. Thank you for requesting me. I'm sorry to hear of Mr. Peaches' problem. Some additional information will be useful.
If you turn him over, is the lump about halfway down his body?
Is anything leaking from the sac?
Thank you.
Anna
nothing seems to be leaking. It's a bit closer to the upper part of him
My daughter saw a small red line on it
This little guy is the love of our life. We are hoping it is just a cyst
Thank you for getting back to me. I wish I could see a picture of it, but the toolbar that lets us post photos isn't working tonight. Depending on the exact location, there are a couple of possibilities. Male dwarf hamsters have a scent gland that is located on the lower chest, approximately mid-body. It can vary a bit from one hamster to the next. a normal scent gland is small with a bit of red in the center. Scent glands can become infected or impacted, and then they will fill with fluid or pus and swell. If you copy and paste this URL into your browser, it will take you to a photo showing the scent gland:
http://hamsterhideout.com/forum/topic/56067-scent-gland-look-normal-or-not/
If a scent gland is impacted or infected, a vet has to take care of it.
If it's not the scent gland, it sounds like an abscess. For an abscess, there is something you can try at home. Soak a cloth in very warm water. Wring it out, then hold it on the abscess for about five minutes. Do this two or three times a day. This may cause it to begin draining. If it does drain, put a little triple antibiotic ointment on it twice a day while it heals. Don't try to lance it or cut it - that will only drive the infection deeper. If it doesn't start draining within a few days, you should make an appointment with a vet to have it taken care of. If you need a vet for either reason, The following sites have directories of vets who treat small rodents. At the first site, you'll come to a log-in page. Sign in as 'member' and use 'member' as your password ***** well.
http://www.rmca.org/Vets/index.php?action=list
http://www.ratfanclub.org/vetref.html
Because he is the love of your lives, I suggest seeing a vet as soon as you can. That will ensure he gets the best possible care, whether it's an abscess or scent gland problem.
If you have more questions, let me know in a REPLY. I hope Mr. Peaches will be fine.
Anna
My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service only after you have all the information you need.  Thank you!
ps. he is about a year and a half old, and is a climber. he uses the top grid of his cage as monkey bars. he scales the top of his cage end to end and frequently falls. could he have gotten injured there?
thank you Anna. we will get him into the vet tomorrow. it made us feel so much better talking to you. thank you
the pic you provided looks less "bubble-Like" then Mr. Peaches lump
You're welcome. You've made the best decision. There's a good chance the vet can help.
Anna
Just saw your other reply. If this is an abscess, it could have begun with any tiny injury, so the scenario you suggested is a possibility.
thank u so much! we will whatever it takes to help him. he has such a big personality, and we love him dearly
Yes, these little guys do have big personalities! Mr . Peaches is fortunate to be with people who appreciate that.
Anna
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist
We took him to the vet yesterday. She is treating him with antibiotics for what appears to be an abscess. He has had 3 doses and the mass appears to be a bit smaller. We will keep doing everything we can for him. Thanks for your help!
I'm glad it is treatable and that it is already shrinking. I wish Mr. Peaches an uncomplicated recovery. Thank you for the update.