Pet

Get pet questions answered by pet Experts

My dog threw up twice today about 7 hrs apart from each other.

I just noticed now he...
My dog threw up twice today about 7 hrs apart from each other. I just noticed now he shakes his head every now and then and scratch his ear I saw once. I checked inside his ears and I don't really see anything in it. Should I take him to the the ER now or can wait to see family vet later?
11/19/2014
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian
Hello and welcome,
This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.
My name is ***** ***** I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. However before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer for me so could you please answer the following :
1. How is he in himself other than the head shaking? Is he still fairly bright and happy?
You can then expect a written reply sometime within the next fifteen minutes or so. We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }
Regards,
Scott

This was in the evening around 7p when he 1st threw up and then again around 2am. He's not as playful with my other dogs tonite.

Hello again Vyckie and thanks for waiting.
I have worked out an answer for you, please read it through and see what you think.
1. Basically as long as Charlie does not deteriorate any further then in my experience the chances are you will be taking very little risk in waiting until morning to see your normal vet.
2. Vomiting is common in the dog and is often not so serious and ear irritation is rarely dangerous, however if things get worse or you become further concerned then you should have your dog checked over by an ER vet just to be on the safe side.
3. In the meantime all you can do is to keep Charlie comfortable and reassured and make sure he is taking fluids.
I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.
Regards,
Scott

I start work tomorrow before my family vet opens and get off before they close so I wouldn't be able to take him to the vet later today. Is this something I can weigh it out to see if he gets better by thurs when I'm free of work to take him in if it still persist? I work from home so I can cancel clients if you think I should take him in to see our see vet before thurs.

Hello again Vyckie,
Very glad to talk this over with you further.
I think the best thing to do is just to keep an eye on your dog for a few hours and see how it goes, this is just the sort of situation where Charlie could start to improve on his own in which case waiting a day or so longer would be no problem.
However if he is not improving or worse still deteriorating then you would be best to somehow arrange to see a vet sooner ...
Regards,
Scott

Is there something I can give him in the meantime if he throws up again?

Yes Vyckie, there are some common sense things which some owners try, please stand by and I will type some examples out for you ...
Regards,
Scott
Here I am back ...
There are in fact a number of home remedies for vomiting in the dog which some owners use while waiting for their vet's appointment. These can sometimes work well for uncomplicated cases where a dog is otherwise quite bright and happy, where for example a dog has eaten something he should not have out in the yard, or some unaccustomed rich foodstuff, or has a minor tummy bug. Here are some examples.
1. I am aware that some owners use Pepto-Bismol to treat their dogs with gastro-enteritis and report success. Here is a link to a web page which has all the information you might need including dose rates : LINK
2. Some owners try and control the situation with diet alone before they try anything else. This is logical and often works, the basis of this is to give the intestinal tract a complete rest and then bring it back slowly to function, resting the alimentary tract is the critical factor. It would go something like this ...
A. Starve him for 24 hours but make sure he has access to water.
B. The next day feed him four or five small light meals in the day. These meals should be the likes of chicken, fish, scrambled egg etc. with a little rice.
C. If he picks up on this diet gradually reintroduce his normal diet over the next few days.
3. Live yogurt added to the food can often help. Some gastro-enteritis situations are caused by an imbalance in the bacteria in your dog's gut. Live yogurt is full of " good " bacteria and will seed them into your dog's intestinal tract and restore the balance. A couple of tablespoons twice a day would be fine for your dog.
Of course if any of the above does not quickly start to work or if he deteriorates further in any way you should have your vet check him over just to be on the safe side.
Regards,
Scott
Hi Vyckie,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Charlie. How is everything going?

Scott Nimmo