Pet

Get pet questions answered by pet Experts

Hi. Thanks for helping. Someone left the jacuzzi open and…

Hi. Thanks for helping...
Hi. Thanks for helping. Someone left the jacuzzi open and we found one of our bunnies in it, alive, but exhausted. I have been cuddling and drying her off for the last hour. She is almost all the way dry, except in the crevices under the arms and legs. She at few cheerios and timothy pellets but is not interested in any greens. I have been listening to her breathing and don't hear anything wheezy or bubbly, and I do hear some digestive gurglings.. She just munched some more. She is alert and has cleaned herself a bit, and then she naps. What should we do further? Any concerns? We have no idea how long she was in there!
11/19/2014
Anna
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist
Hello and welcome. Thank you for requesting me. I'm sorry to hear of this accident. You have done everything right so far. Do try to get her to eat some grass hay. Those digestive gurglings are worrisome. When a rabbit becomes stressed enough to suffer appetite loss, a life- threatening condition called gastro-intestinal stasis can develop. Grass hay, with it's fiber content, can help prevent it. If Kelsey does stop eating completely, it is a medical emergency and she'll need to be seen by a vet right away. I hope that doesn't happen.
The other concern, of course, is that she may have gotten water in her lungs. There isn't any first aid measure for this, but you will just need to monitor her closely over the next several days. If you notice breathing problems, snuffling, sneezing or coughing, wheezing, etc., she'll need to be seen by her vet right away. Lethargy would also be cause for concern.
This had to be very traumatic for Kelsey. Rabbits don't like to get wet, and they often get sick afterward, which is why we don't bathe them. Besides what you have already done and offering her some tasty grass hay, the most important thing will be to watch her closely and be ready to take her to the vet if anything comes up.
If you have more questions, let me know in a REPLY. I hope Kelsey will recover from this with no complications.
Anna
Anna
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist
Hi ***** *****,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Kelsey. How is everything going?
Anna
Well, she seemed to be bouncing back yesterday morning, eating greens and critical care formula, but her body temp was at 97 and never went up, even in a warming room at the vets, and we lost her today :( She never came out of shock. We are devastated. My son doesn't know yet. He will probably carry some real guilt over it. Thanks for checking back.
c
I apologize for the post above - it was accidental. I'm so sorry for your loss of Kelsey. This is especially hard when a child is involved. Perhaps you can help him understand that everyone makes mistakes. If he seems to need some counseling from a non-family member, this site offers free pet grief counseling by trained volunteers. You could explain the situation to them before letting him communicate with them.
http://www.aplb.org/
Just a note: You may receive emails that are inappropriate for the situation and look like they are from me. They are not. They're computer-generated emails. JA is programmed to automatically send them out. Just ignore them. I apologize that you'll be getting them, but I have no way to stop them.
I know words can't really help in this situation, but all I can do is offer my condolences. I'm sorry.
Anna
Anna
Anna
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist