Pet

Get pet questions answered by pet Experts

Could someone tell me the top 5 lowest maintenance pets for…

Could someone tell me the...
Could someone tell me the top 5 lowest maintenance pets for a household?
11/17/2014
Anna
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist
My name is ***** ***** I’m a biologist with a special interest in pet health. Over the years, I've kept just about every kind of pet. The truth is that no animals thrive without specialized care. I would rate a betta fish as being the lowest maintenance, but they do require regular water changes with properly conditioned water, correct temperatures, and feeding, of course. Most other fish are much more difficult to care for, and I would not consider an aquarium low maintenance.
If you want a furry pet, the smaller pocket pets, such as hamsters, gerbils, domestic rats, and mice would be the lowest maintenance. They require cleaning of the cage as needed, proper food and water, and toys.
Guinea pigs and rabbits would be a bit higher for maintenance, mostly because they need more frequent cleaning.
If one of these pets is of interest to you, let me know which one, and I'll give you more information on their care.
Anna
Anna
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist
Hi Jessica,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Anna