Pet

Get pet questions answered by pet Experts

My 5# ***** has coccidosis and is being treated with Panacur…

Customer Question
My 5# ***** has coccidosis...
My 5# ***** has coccidosis and is being treated with Panacur (this is fifth day) seemed to help the first 4 days, then last night he had a terrible bout of diarrhea and this morning he had a bad accident in his crate. Have an appointment at vet tomorrow at 2:30. I acquired this dog about 3.5 months ago. He was crated as much as 18 hours a day. He is very high strung.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Pet
11/11/2014
Pet Specialist: Dr. Gabby, Veterinarian replied 3 years ago
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Veterinarian
Hello and thank you for asking your question. My name is*****
The Panacur treatment, or the coccidia, or both can cause bouts of diarrhea.
For tonight I would give him human immodium ad. 1/4 of a tablet every 8 hours as needed.
Do not give him any food for 8 hours. This is to let his gastrointestinal tract rest. During the 8 hour fast he can have all the water he wants. Then after the fast, start feeding him small amounts of the plain cooked chicken and rice again.
I would still take him to the vet tomorrow. The panacur and coccidia may have upset the natural flora or bacteria in his intestines. The bad bacteria may have taken over and he needs an antibiotic, called Metronidazole, to kill those extra bad ones off.
Probiotics help put good bacteria back into the intestines. Fortiflora by purina, and Proviable by nutramax, are both good ones. You can buy them at petsmart or at your vets office. You sprinkle them on the food.
As long as there is no blood in the stool, and he is not having repeated bouts of watery diarrhea, I would give the immodium and monitor him.
If he becomes too dehydrated, his gums will feel dry instead of being nice and moist. If that happens you can give him children's pedialyte drink with a syringe or eye dropper. 1 teaspoon, every hours, until his gums are moist.
Does that help? Do you have any additional questions?