Pet

Get Pet Questions Answered by Pet Experts

Pet

my vet did a screen on my apparently healthy 16 yr old blue

fronted amazon and the pharyngeal...
my vet did a screen on my apparently healthy 16 yr old blue fronted amazon and the pharyngeal culture is positive for pseudomonas...worried about side effects of treatment and if treatment is necessary?
11/9/2014
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Gram negative bacteria such as Pseudomonas aren't expected in the pharynx of our birds but before treatment is initiated, you need to ask how many colonies of that bacteria were cultured; in other words, the Pseudomonas may have been a contaminant rather than a primary infection particularly because you hadn't administered antibiotics to Squeaky recently which might have wiped out competing bacteria and left the tough Pseudomonas.

Pseudomonas is widespread in the environment and it's not unexpected to culture a few colonies of such a bacteria from the oropharynx. It's likely that I would find the bacteria after culturing Squeaky's cage. If this bacteria were a pure culture, however, it's a significant finding. In other words, if no other bacteria were cultured from his pharynx, there's reason for concern.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

thank you for your response and the additional questions I can ask about the lab results will be helpful...I had already left a phone message asking for the colony count but the mixed vs pure colony question very helpful. When I did a google search on pseudomonas in pet birds it seems that either the problem is contamination or very serious and usually fatal rapidly despite treatment. And gentamycin type drugs can cause ototoxicity and kidney failure in people...if Squeaky does need treatment, what are the risks of the treatment? would it be in the gent family of meds?

You're quite welcome. No, I would expect a fluoroquinolone such as enrofloxacin to be prescribed - far better tolerated than an aminoglycoside such as gentamicin. Keep me posted, please. I'd like to know the colony count.

Just got what labs are available and I must have misunderstood my Doc's message because the aerobic culture is labelled cloacal and shows 3+ normal flora with rare gram + cocci, rare gram - rods and rare gram + rods, then 2+ pseudomonas aeroginosa, 1+ e.coli, and 3+ micrococcus which is labelled "usually environmental... nonpathogenic"

This is what I'd expect in an otherwise normal bird. I see no reason to pursue such findings. Thank you for the additional information.
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.

You may receive an inappropriate follow-up from the site ostensibly sent from me. It wasn't and I apologize in advance should you receive it.

Please disregard the info request.
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian