Pet

Get Pet Questions Answered by Pet Experts

Pet

Our four month old female hamster is extremely bloated and

Customer Question
leaking yellow out of her...
Our four month old female hamster is extremely bloated and leaking yellow out of her anus and vagina. She is not eating or drinking and you can feel her bones now. My husband won't let me take her to the vet. I think it is the ailment when the uterus gets extremely large.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Pet
11/8/2014
Pet Specialist: Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist replied 3 years ago
Anna
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist
Hello and welcome.Thank you for requesting me. You may well be right about what is wrong, and if so, there is absolutely nothing that can be done without a vet. However, I want to rule out another possibility before reaching that conclusion.

How long has this been going on?

Besides the yellow substance, is she passing any droppings? If you're not certain if she is passing droppings, place her in a box on clean paper towels for 20 - 30 minutes. Look for feces and let me know what you find.

Thank you.

Anna
Yes she is passing droppings but they are greasy. Not diareaha but greasy. She started to get bloated two weeks ago. So much that we thought she was getting fat. We bought her a new cage with no tubes in it because of fear she would get stuck.
Thank you. I was hoping she would be constipated, but that doesn't appear to be the case.Sometimes when there is a partial blockage in the intestines, liquid (the yellow stuff)can still pass out. This sounds like infection. There will be nothing you can do without seeing a vet. Dash is certainly suffering, and if you can't take her to a vet to have her put to sleep, I suggest contacting your local animal shelter. Sometimes they will euthanize animals at a small fee as a public service. I wish I could tell you some way to help her, but I believe you deserve honesty. I'm sorry not to have better news.
I am going to opt out of your question to open it to other experts. It's unlikely, but perhaps one of them will have other ideas.
Anna
Pet Specialist: Camille-Mod, Cat Mod replied 3 years ago
Camille-Mod
Camille-Mod, Cat Mod
I’m Camille, and I’m the moderator for this topic. It seems the Expert has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the expert thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new expert to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right expert can take a little longer than expected.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still needing assistance from another one of the Experts?
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question.
Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Health, Pets, Computers, Taxes, Cars, Finance, Law, to Home Improvement, and more.
Thank you,
Camille-Moderator
Anna
Anna
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist