Pet

Get pet questions answered by pet Experts

My female cat is approximately 15 years old. She was spayed…

My female cat is approximately...
My female cat is approximately 15 years old. She was spayed about 13 years ago, already done when she adopted me. She has been talking to me a lot, she has always been very vocal. But this talking is with many repeated trips to the litter box. Nothing unusual in the box until tonight. Very bloody "urine." And she is very uncomfortable. She is an indoor cat. I have a male cat about 12 that is in and outdoor. Please advise.
11/6/2014
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian
Hello and welcome,
This is not an information request but just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.
My name is ***** ***** I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next fifteen minutes or so.
We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }
Regards,
Scott

She just had a bowel movement, appeared normal. She is now laying quietly. Thanks doc!

Hello again Robert and thanks for waiting.
Sorry to hear Jenny is uncomfortable but I have worked out an answer for you, please read it through and see what you think.
While I cannot diagnose this over the internet I can tell that what you are dealing with is possibly a urinary tract infection { UTI } also called cystitis, this would be the commonest condition which would produce blood in the urine in a female cat. In most cases this is not a serious disease
The signs of a UTI which is a bladder infection in the cat would be some or all of the following :
1. Increased frequency of urination, this on one the symptoms that the owners spot first.
2. This can progress to discomfort or problems in passing urine and attempting to pass urine for along time.
3. And you may see that the urine may sometimes be blood tinged or discoloured.
What to do about it? : Unfortunately there is little you can hope to do on a home remedy basis but if this is a UTI your vet will be able to give you prescription drugs to resolve the situation and make Jenny more comfortable. While a UTI would be the most likely diagnosis there are other possibilities such as stones in the bladder or even bladder cancer { rare } but this is another reason to have her checked over by your vet sooner rather than later.
I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.
Regards,
Scott

She just had a bowel movement and seems much more comfortable. But your uti diagnosis feels right. To the vet tomorrow. Thank you!

Hi Robert,
That's your best plan! Glad to have advised you ...
Regards,
Scott
Hi Robert Follrath,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Jenny. How is everything going?
Scott Nimmo

Thank you. Pretty good diagnosis for not seeing Jenny. Some kind of infection. Most likely uti, combined with kidney failure. On antibiotics. We are going to try a diet supplement for kidney support.

Thanks for the update Robert,
Good luck with Jenny,
Scott