Pet

Get pet questions answered by pet Experts

my rabbit hasn't been eating and now is very dehydrated and…

my rabbit hasn't been eating...
my rabbit hasn't been eating and now is very dehydrated and can't even stand up i don't know what to
11/5/2014
Anna
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist
Hello and welcome. Thank you for requesting me. I have been raising and showing rabbits for many years. When a rabbit stops eating, it is a dire emergency.Before we can proceed, some additional information will be helpful.

How long has this been going on?

Has your rabbit been passing any droppings?

Thank you.

Anna

hi i have been sick a few days and when i left my friend in charge of taking care of him and when i came back she says she forgot to feed him today!! I'm worried

Are there any fresh droppings (feces) in the cage ? This is important information.

the feces look old

Thank you. That is bad news, but I’m working on your answer and will post it as soon as I have it typed up. (I am not a fast typist). Please don’t respond to this post as that can lock me out of the question. I’ll be back shortly.
Thank you for waiting. There's a condition called gastro-intestinal stasis which is very dangerous to rabbits. Your rabbit has all the signs. This condition can be brought on by a number of things - not having food available, inadequate fiber, a blockage in the intestines, gas in the stomach, or loss of appetite from an illness. Here's a site where you can read more about GI stasis:

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/ileus.html

I know you would like a home remedy, and I would love to give you one, but unfortunately, this is a situation where there isn't one. I'm sorry to give you bad news, but I believe you deserve honesty. Left untreated, GI stasis is usually fatal. Your rabbit needs to be seen by a vet right away. I only found one rabbit vet in Kuwait. Here is their contact information:

Royal Animal Hospital -Kuwait
www.rahkwt.com
Tel: (+965) 2475 0966 0r 9838

If that is too far away, contact a local vet and see if they would be willing to work by phone consultation with a rabbit vet. The vet will need to take an x-ray to determine if their is a blockage. If not, prescription gut motility drugs may solve the problem. They are the best way to get the digestive system moving under many circumstances. However, a partial blockage complicates things. If the blockage is small enough, the drugs may still be helpful. If the blockage is too large, gut motility drugs can be dangerous, and surgery will be needed. Your vet is in the best position to decide if these drugs are an option. There is more about them on the site above. You may want to print the information out and take it to your vet to discuss.

For your rabbit's sake, please don't delay. I have had rabbits die in only a couple of hours after they stopped eating and passing droppings. This is a true emergency. Until you can get to a vet, do continue to give the water to prevent dehydration.

If you have more questions, let me know in a REPLY. I hope Ghalia Al Sultan will be able to recover from this.

Anna

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service only after you have all the information you need. Thank you!
Anna
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist

i know this hospital and he has a file their but i don't know what to do right now

I can't make the decision for you. I can tell you that if he were my rabbit, I would be going to the vet. If there were a way for you to fix this on your own, I would certainly tell you about it. Very few rabbits recover from stasis on their own - it happens, but rarely.

Anna