Pet

Get Pet Questions Answered by Pet Experts

Pet

Hi, I have recently bought 100 acres in country Victoria,

Customer Question
Australia. Unfortunately the number of...
Hi, I have recently bought 100 acres in country Victoria, Australia. Unfortunately the number of wild rabbits is increasing and is causing damage. I love rabbits, in fact have two pet rabbits at another property. I know I need to control the wild rabbit
numbers but do NOT want to cause them pain/suffering. I have researched for hours, the different options, but none seem really humane. I think the govt has released something - either RHD or Myxo - as there are alot of sick rabbits - poor things - they are
slow, disorientated and have horribly infected eyes (shut,weeping, bloody). What can I do? Is there something I can give them that will just make them go to sleep, combined with metacham or something? Is there not something that can be used that will humanely
just simply stop them mating / breeding?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Pet
11/5/2014
Pet Specialist: Dr. Gary, Veterinarian replied 3 years ago
Dr. Gary, Veterinarian
This is not an easy situation.
We don't have anything to just sterilize the rabbits or stop them from breeding. It's ingrained into them to reproduce and survive. They're just doing what they are hard wired to do.
There are a couple options here. One of the more humane options would be to introduce a natural predator for the population of rabbits. An easy way to do that is to get a dog or two. They will hunt and keep the population under control.
Another option is to hunt the rabbits. If you have anyone that would use the meat and pelts, they could come and help trim down the population.
You could also use a repellent. Here is one that may work:
http://www.deerout.com/rabbit/?gclid=CI24jrv106kCFcYE2godTSIlMw
Lastly, you could use something like decon or some other rodenticide toxin. These cause a fairly rapid and humane death. They're not entirely pain free, but they are the most humane options we have.
I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
Thanks, ***** ***** a pheramone that would stop them breeding?
No, there's nothing like that. You can use coyote or fox urine as a repellent, but the only way to stop breeding is to trap and neuter them.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Hi Dr Gary, thanks for following up. I am beside myself trying to think of something I can do to help all these poor bunnies who obviously have myxo.
Would there not be a way to combine a fast acting poison with metacham (pain relief) to release instead of having them suffer and die horribly over a period of weeks?
OR what about the stuff vets use to put animals to sleep - can this be given orally? Or last resort - if I were to catch them and inject them with whatever it is or does it have to be in a vein (which I doubt I could do)?
The stuff that we use to euthanize is Sodium Pentobarbital. It's highly controlled and has to go into a vein to work quickly. That's just not an option here.
There's not really anything to cause rapid death to combine with Metacam. You can use a rodenticide or decon, but they do take a few days to work.
Dr. Gary, Veterinarian