My betta fish is pale, not eating, lethargic and is swimming, upright, in a corner of his 5 gallon aquarium.

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: My betta fish is pale, not eating, lethargic and is swimming, upright, in a corner of his 5 gallon aquarium. He seems to have labored breathing and gasps for air...blowing bubbles but not for a nest. We changed his water yesterday and put Aqua Salt in it. He is still having major problems. What should I do to help him?
Answered by Jav917 in 3 mins 8 years ago
imglogo
Jav917
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Cat Veterinary, Bird Veterinary, Reptile Veterinary, Exotic Animal Veterinary

My name is ***** ***** I am a Vet tech for 30+ years and a fish keeper for 40+ years.

Did you do a full water change?

Did you use botthed water or tap water?

Did you use any conditioner in the water?

Have you checked the Ammonia, Nitrites, Nitrates and PH? What type of test kit did you use?

Do you have filtration?

Did you clean the gravel?

Joan

Customer

Thanks, Joan. This little guy means the world to me as I rescued him and 2 other Betta fish from Walmart this past winter. They were in filthy, discusting water bowls and I couldn't stand it!

We did a full water change with filtered water and still used 2 drops of the conditioner. We checked the water with an aquarium PH testing kit. All looked good except the PH was a 6. No filtration system and the gravel is clean - just cleaned it two days ago. I have the other 2 in seperate tanks just like this one and they are doing great.

I too have rescued many Bettas from Walmart to include two in one jar. The problem may be an Ammonia spike which happens when you did a 100% water change and you clean the gravel you removed the biolgical fiter.

This means the tank is cycling and you are going through a new tank syndrome: http://www.bestfish.com/breakin.html What this means is the tank will be having Ammonia spikes which can cause the problems you are seeing. When caring for a tank we only do partial water changes. In a case like this we need to restart the biological filter by addung Nitrifying Bacteria which is Fritzyme #7 to help get the tank restarted. What I would like to do is get the tank restarted properly.

1) do a 75% water change using Bottle Spring water(not distilled) adding 1 teaspoon full of aquarium salt per gallon of what that is being replaced. The Kosher salt is too strong and can cause burns.

2) into the tank we want to add Nitrifying Bacteria which is Fritzyme #7

3) we want to add some Stress Coat which will help the fish accclimate.

4) each day you will need to check the Ammonia, Nitrites, Nitrates and PH. We want the Ammonia at 0, Nitrites at 0, Nitrates 20ppm or less and PH at 7.0. I suggest anAPI Mater test kit for accuracy.

5) if the water parameters are high do only a 25% to 35% water change if needed, again adding Nitrifying Bacteria, Stress Coat and aquariun salt enough to replace just what is removed.

6) .The high levels of Ammonia, Nitrites, Nitrates and PH, can make the fish ill, and cause horrible burns. Right now less is better. The cycling can take 30 days and in smaller tanks it sometimes can take longer to stabilize.

Please let me know if you need clarification on this information and I will be happy to help. Just hit reply. Joan

Customer

Do I purchase Fritzyme #7, nitrifing bacteria and stress coat at PetSmart? Do I continue to feed him _ I feed the frozed Bryne shrimp and bloodowrms? Why are the other 2 fish o.k.?

This can happen to any tank. It usually happens right after gravel and all water is changed. The API master test kit, Fritzyme #7 or another Nitrifying Bacteria and Stress Coat should all be available at the Petsmart. Walmart even carries Stress Coat and may be cheaper. I would withhold feeding him, if he is lethargic. If you read the link about new tank syndrome it explains what is happening. I have seen this happen in one tank and not another because enough bacteria was left after the change. I also have seen this happen with tanks over a week or two after the change. Joan

Customer

The API master test kit is what we used. We also use it for our 8 koi that we have in a outdoor pond.

I will go right now, to Complete Petmart - this is closer than Petsmart - to purchase these items. I will also read the information you sent me.

Thanks for your help. I appreciate your concern for Comet!

Linda.

I have worked with betta owners with the same problems fir over a month, until we got it under control. You are lucky that the tank is a five gallon. Smaller tanks are harder to cycle. I have even had owners put small in tank power filters in to get things under control. The new rank syndrome has always been a big issue with fish keeping. Never do a full change and only vacuum the gravel, and never clean it out of the tank. Joan

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Jav917
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Jav917
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.