I believe that my betta may have a fungal infection. It looks

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: I believe that my betta may have a fungal infection. It looks like a small white ulceration just behind his head; however, it is not "whispy" as most cotton mouth diseases are described. I have treated his 2 gallon tank with both Mardel's Marycyn Plus and API's Bettafix, without any luck. I am currently in day 5 of treating with Bettafix, and the directions advise to do a water change after treatment is complete. Because it am seeing no improvement, I am considering a water change now.
Answered by Jav917 in 7 mins 8 years ago
imglogo
Jav917
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Cat Veterinary, Bird Veterinary, Reptile Veterinary, Exotic Animal Veterinary

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been a Vet Tech for 30+ year and a fish Keeper for 40+ years.

Can you tell me if the Fish is swimming normally?

Is it eating? Type of food you feed?

Do you have filtration?

Joan

Customer
He is lethargic, but not unresponsive. He still darts away when I take the lid off of his bowl, but his fins are clamped and he looks bad. He is not very appatent; I'm not sure if he has eaten in the past 24 hours, but he did eat a bit the day before yesterday. I feed him Omega One's Betta Buffet Flakes. It is a salmon/cod/other mixed seafood diet. The bowl is not filtered, but I do heat it. The current temp is about 78 Fahrenheit.

I would get an API Master test kit and check the water quailty for Ammonia, Nitrites, Nitrates and ph. I suspect when you do test the water the parameters are high which can aggravate the situation and make your Betta feel even worse. The Ammonia needs to be at 0. the Nitrites at 0, the Nitrates at 20ppm or less and a neurtal 7.0 ph. In the mean time, I do suggest a 25% water change and pun an in tank power filter in the tank to help with the water parameters. I would like to see you add 1 teaspoon full of aquarium salt per gallon of water into the tank. This is a one time addition. The aquarium salt acts as a tonic. It works on Parasites, Helps with healing, works on bacterial infections and fungus issues. I would also like to see you get some Melafix. The Melafix will not affect the water parameters the way other medications will and should help heal the area behind the head. This sounds like a bacterial infection and may be the result of a water quality issue. Hopefully the aquarium salt, water change, in tank fiter and Melafix will help your Betta feel better and perk him up. When in a small tank, it is very easy to cause water parameter issues especially without some type of filtration. Testing the water is a very important part of fish keeping. Please let me know if you need clarification about the protocols I have given you and the treatment to aid your Betta. Joan

Joan41725.0344354977
Customer
Joan, thank you very much for your advice. I just have two more questions. Would it be beneficial or harmful to do a compete water change now? AND I've avoided filters because many people warn of bettas' fins getting stuck or torn in the filter. Your thoughts? Thanks so much. I really do want to take good care of him.

I would absolutely do the 75% water change now. The water parameters must we off the wall from what you have described is going on with your Betta. That alone will make him ill.

To the new water disolve the Aquarium salt as directed in my post above at 1 teaspoon full per gallon of water in the tank. This should aid the healing for tonight. As far as the in tank filter that I am speaking about: they are small and go into the back by the corner of the tank. I have used them with all my Bettas, because it actually helps with preventing the water qaulity issues. This is one that works well: http://www.amazon.com/Tetra-Whisper-In-Tank-Filter-3-Gallon/dp/B000HHQ712

The small tanks get Bettas ill without filtration, because it is impossible to keep the water quality correct. Joan

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Jav917
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Jav917
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.