Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  2003 Graduate
14008320

My dog has had greenish discharge coming out of his left eye

My dog has had greenish discharge coming out of his left eye for the past few days. This has happened before, but every time we go to the vet we are given eyedrops and sent on our way. Do you think there is a deeper issue going on? Our dog has had no behavioral changes and is still full of energy.
Welcome! My name isXXXXX am a 2003 graduate, and currently a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern for Mags.

Very interesting question.
First, I think we both can agree that the type of discharge coming out of the eye is suggestive of an infection. But, it has happened before.
So, we must be suspicious for a few things.
Is it a repeat injury? Perhaps allergy related. Or, something else.

When it happened the first time, and definitely the second occurrence, the vet should have been starting some basic testing.

What testing?
1. A basic eye stain test, to ensure there is no corneal ulcer/scratch on the surface of the eye. This is extremely routine and surprised they haven't recommended it yet.

2. A schirmer tear test. Sometimes, when dry eye, also known as keratoconjunctivitis sicca starts, it will be only one eye.

The most common eye tests performed by your veterinarian:

Eye Stain Test for Ulcers
.
Tear test for Dry Eye
.
Glaucoma Eye Pressure Test

A common deeper issue can be when there are eyelid or eyelash problems causing chronic irritation to the eye.

Here are some of the more common eye conditions (in no particular order):
Corneal Ulceration
.
Ectopic Cilia
.
Distichiasis
.
Entropion
.
Ectropion
.
Trichiasis
.
KCS - Dry Eye
.
Conjunctivitis

So, it may be well worth consulting a new vet for a second opinion. If your interested, and they aren't too far, you can even just go straight to a opthalmologist specialist for a consult.

Find a Ophthalmologist

Please let me know if there is anything I did not cover for you. I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select Reply to Expert, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. DO NOT rate yet if have any other questions. My goal is to try and provide you the best answer possible.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Dr. Andy,

This is fantastic! Thank you so much!

You are very welcome Jenny.
Sorry that you are running into repeated eye issues.
Maybe it is some allergy or repeat injury, but I wouldn't want to assume it.

Good Luck!
Hi Jenny,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Mags. How is everything going?