Anna
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist
Experience:  40 yrs.: herps, pocket pets, rabbits, poultry, dogs, horses. Biology degree. Vet assistant.
6012901

Hi Anna, One of my daughters betta fish started to look

Hi Anna,

One of my daughter's betta fish started to look rather large lately, i.e. she has expanded belly even though she is being fed the same as before. The weird part is that her belly is expanded only on the left side. My daughter says it might be a tumor, but she is not sure. Is there anything that can be done about the bump so that fish gets "normal" again?

Best,

Saso

Anna is not on right now. She will be on a little later this afternoon, If you would like to wait for her please let me know. If you need immediate help, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a Vet tech and have kept fish for 40+ years. Joan

Hello again, Saso. Thanks to Joan for letting you know I was away. I'm sorry to give you bad news, but there's probably nothing you can do about the bulge. It is very likely either a tumor or an abscess. If it's a tumor, nothing will cause it to shrink. Some fish live for quite a long time with tumors.

If it's an abscess, it may help to treat the fish with antibiotics. The best one to use for internal infections is Maracyn-Two (not plain Maracyn). It is available in many larger pet stores or online:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=4842

Just follow the instructions on the package. If there's no improvement during the course of treatment, it's either a tumor or an antibiotic resistant infection that formed an abscess. In both cases, all you can do is wait and see what happens. Sometimes, such swellings will go away on their own. Other times they continue to grow, and sometimes, they just stay the same for months.

If you have more questions, let me know in a REPLY. I hope the Maracyn-Two will help.

Anna
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist
Experience: 40 yrs.: herps, pocket pets, rabbits, poultry, dogs, horses. Biology degree. Vet assistant.