Anna
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist
Experience:  40 yrs.: herps, pocket pets, rabbits, poultry, dogs, horses. Biology degree. Vet assistant.
6012901

I have a 5 week old bunny, some mornings its eye is closed

I have a 5 week old bunny, some mornings its eye is closed over, after bathing in warm salty water the eye is fine then a couple of days later it happens again. There is no discharge from the eye, it is not weepy and appears bright and focused. The rabbit is otherwise in excellent health

I apologize that no one has responded to your question sooner. Different experts come online at various times. I just came online and saw your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a biologist with over 30 years experience breeding and showing rabbits. I would like to help you today.

This problem is quite common in young rabbits, especially in the lop breeds. You are taking an appropriate first aid measure. However, I would add an additional step. Once the eye opens from the warm salt water, use saline solution (the mild type made for contact lenses) 4-5 times per day. Doing this consistently often keeps the eye open. This problem usually resolves by the time the bunny is 8-10 weeks old. If it hasn't cleared up by then. it would be best to see your vet. Here is a list of rabbit vets in Australia:

http://members.shaw.ca/cocoasun/AustralianRabbitVets.htm

If you have more questions, let me know in a REPLY. I hope Bunny will be just fine.

Anna

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service only after you have all the information you need. Thank you!