Pet

Get Pet Questions Answered by Pet Experts

Pet

Anna,I know that it is generally not the best idea to have

Anna, I know that it is...
Anna,

I know that it is generally not the best idea to have mesh for the bottom of the Cavy's cage. However I am going to need to build a bigger enclosure to house all of the new babies, and to isolate Rosie once she delivers so she does not get pregnant again immediately. So I need to know what gauge, size, spacing, style of mesh wire I should get to ensure that their feet are safe. Also, because you were a part of the development of them, I sexed both previous births today (3 weeks old) and they are both males. Goldie (the dad) is incredibly protective of Rosie and the babies (thing 1 and thing 2) .
7/4/2013
Camille-Mod
Camille-Mod, Cat Mod

I'm Camille, and I’m a moderator for this topic. I sent your requested professional a message to follow up with you here, when they are back online.

If I can help further, please let me know. Thank you for your continued patience.

Best,

Camille

Anna
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist

Hi again,

I was already asleep when you posted your question. I love the creative names you picked for the babies. I'm going to have a hard time giving you a recommendation for mesh becasue I would not use it for guinea pigs. I always use metal trays with litter on them. As you know, wire floors can lead to problems. Guinea pigs are very prone to pododermatitis (bumblefoot), and being on wire greatly increases the chances of it occurring. That being said, if you're going to use wire, sturdy hardware cloth works best. That's the kind with little squares.

graphic

The gauge doesn't really matter because guinea pigs are not that heavy. Smaller mesh, such as 1/4" gives the feet more support. However, if you need droppings to fall through, that size won't work because it will trap them. If you go to one inch mesh, the droppings fall through, but so can the guinea pig's feet. 1/2" mesh is a compromise. You can buy hardware cloth in hardware stores and home improvement stores - it is sold by the foot. There are two precautions I would take when using wire-floored cages. One is to inspect the guinea pigs' feet every other day.At the first sign of redness or minor injury, they need to be on a solid floor until the heal. If bumblefoot gets a good start, it's difficult to cure and ends up making hefty vet bills. Second, they should always have a place to get off the wire. You could place a piece of cardboard over part of the floor, and replace it when it gets worn or dirty.

Just let me know if you need anything else. I hope your little family will thrive.

Anna

Thank you for your kid words and great advice. If I completely rebuild (as opposed to upgrading the cage they have) should I line the wood walls with something to prevent them gnawing their way through? Goldie even gets under the platform that is currently there and chews the bottom. I saw a hutch that they sell at the pet store for rabbits and it had a large (almost chicken wire size) mesh stapled to the wood. Do I need to do this with Cavy to make it safe for them? As for a place to get off the mesh, i plan to put a dog bowl full of bedding under the igloo house they have to give them a soft place to sleep.

You're welcome. Yes, cavies, as well as rabbits will gnaw wood. I don't use mesh with chicken wire size openings for either species. I prefer the smaller meshed hardware cloth for lining wood, too. It can be stapled down tightly, decreasing the chances of getting a tooth or claw caught in it. The dog bowl with bedding is a good idea for a soft place to sleep.

Anna
Anna
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist
Anna
Anna
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist