Pet

Get Pet Questions Answered by Pet Experts

Pet

My dog has diarrhea. it started Sunday evening and he has been

up all night every hour...
My dog has diarrhea. it started Sunday evening and he has been up all night every hour. consistency is like water. he runs around the yard like he has to go really bad and then sometimes nothing comes out. I have to work a 12 hour shift starting at 6am. What should I do? do I feed him his normal breakfast? He has plenty of water and I have a friend coming to check on him every few hours.
Answered in 1 minute by:
7/1/2013
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian
Hello and welcome .

My name is Scott and I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon, I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

Please give me ten minutes or so to think through your particular problem, prepare an answer, and then type things up. I will then get back to you and we can then talk things over ...

Regards,

Scott

Does your answer come to my email box? I've never done this before.

Hello again Kari and thanks for waiting.

{ You should get notification in your E-mail inbox but here is your answer }

I have worked out an answer for you, please read it through and see what you think, ... lets get started.

This sort of thing is always a gamble, if you want to be 100% sure you are doing the right thing you should have a vet check Eli over without delay.

That said that there are a number of home remedies for diarrhoea in the dog which some owners use while waiting for their vet's appointment, these often work well in uncomplicated cases where for example a dog has eaten something he should not have out in the yard, or some unaccustomed rich foodstuff, or has a minor tummy bug.

Here are some examples of suitable home remedies.

1. I am aware that some owners use the likes of Pepto-Bismol to treat their dogs with gastro-enteritis and often report success. Here is a link to a web page which has all the information you might need including dose rates : LINK

2. Some owners try and control the situation with diet alone before they try anything else. This is logical and often works, the basis of this is to give the intestinal tract a complete rest and then bring it back slowly to function, resting the alimentary tract is the critical factor. It would go something like this ...

A. Starve him for 24 hours but make sure he has access to water.

B. The next day feed him four or five small light meals in the day. These meals should be the likes of chicken, fish, scrambled egg etc. with a little rice.

C. If he picks up on this diet gradually reintroduce his normal diet over the next few days.

3. Live yogurt added to the food can often help. Some gastro-enteritis situations are caused by an imbalance in the bacteria in your dog's gut. Live yogurt is full of " good " bacteria and will seed them into your dog's intestinal tract and restore the balance. You do not need to give much, perhaps a couple of teaspoons twice a day.

Of course if any of the above does not quickly start to work or if Eli deteriorates further in any way you should see your vet without delay just to be on the safe side.

I hope I have given you a few ideas and covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Scott