Pet

Get Pet Questions Answered by Pet Experts

Pet

My cat vomited watery stuff several times yesterday. He has

not been eating or drinking...
My cat vomited watery stuff several times yesterday. He has not been eating or drinking much if at all today. He is acting lethargic, but does not seem to be in any pain. He is about 1 1/2 years old. Eyes appear normal. We noticed a small irregular lump in the front of the throat. He is not hiding away and seems to jump down from the bed and walk without any balance problems, just slower than normal. Mostly just sits or lays around. We have two other cats (female and both older) and they are not showing any symptoms. The cats are all indoor cats.
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/18/2013
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian
Hello and welcome .

My name is Scott and I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon, I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

Please give me ten minutes or so to think through your particular problem, prepare an answer, and then type things up. I will then get back to you and we can then talk things over ...

Regards,

Scott

OK. Thanks.

Hello again David and thanks for waiting.

I have worked out an answer for you, please read it through and see what you think, ... lets get started.

1. This sort of thing is always a gamble so at the end of the day if you want to be 100% certain you are doing the right thing then you should have your vet check your cat over without delay. However until you can get to a vet there are a number of home remedies for vomiting in the cat, these work well for uncomplicated cases where your cat is still fairly bright and not showing any other major adverse symptoms as in your case.

Vomiting like this can occur where for example a cat has eaten something he should not have out in the yard or a houseplant or toxin in the house, some unaccustomed rich foodstuff could also produce this picture, or perhaps he has contracted a minor tummy bug of some kind. What you describe is unlikely to have been caused by a fur ball.

2. You might want to try and control the situation with diet alone before you try anything else. This is logical and often works, the thinking here is to give Draco's intestinal tract a complete rest and then bring it gradually back to function. I have often advised my clients at my clinic to do the following :

A. Starve him for 24 hours but make sure he has access to water.

B. The next day feed him four or five small light meals in the day. These meals should be the likes of chicken, fish, scrambled egg etc.

C. If he starts to picks up on this diet gradually reintroduce his normal diet over the next few days.

4. Live yogurt added to the food can often help. Some gastro-enteritis situations are caused by an imbalance in the bacteria in your cat's gut. Live yogurt is full of " good " bacteria and will seed them into your cat's intestinal tract and restore the balance. You do not need to give much perhaps a teaspoonful twice a day.

Of course if this does not quickly start work or if Draco deteriorates further you should have a vet check him over without delay.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Scott

I have tried feeding him a few things. The only thing he eats is if I put something on his lips (moist stuff from cat food, ice cream), but he won't eat anything else. I wipe water on his lips and he licks it off, but only drank one or two laps from a bowl put right under his mouth and now backs his head away from the water bowl.

Hello again,

Glad to talk thing over with you further ...

This is a frustrating situation for you I know, in young cats like Draco what you are seeing is not uncommon and usually the result of something they have eaten and in many cases it will resolve on it's own or with some minor intervention.

But ... you can never really be certain so if he does not pick up fairly soon you should get your vet involved. Better safe than sorry ...

Sorry I cannot safely offer anything more constructive ...

Regards,

Scott
Hi David,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Draco. How is everything going?

Vet Answers Vet

He's still sick. He's not eating and is spending most of his time lying around. I think we need to take him to the vet tomorrow.

Hello again David,

Thanks very much for the update, sorry Draco is no better.

The sooner he is seen by a vet the better ...

Regards,

Scott