Joan
Joan, Vet Technician
Experience:  Vet Tech for 35+yrs. Small Animals and Fish
5071285

hamsters with tumors

hamsters with tumors

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a Vet Tech who has special interest in Pocket Pets. I need to ask some questions.

Can you tell me where on the side of the body the lump is located?

What type of bedding are you using?

What type of diet are you feeding?

Is he housed alone?

Could he have been bitten by an insect or attacked by another animal in the house?

Joan

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The lump is probably two peas in size and it on the right side of his body towards the middle a little towards the underside of his body. His bedding is the recycled newspaper - we have been using it for a long time and it is from the pet store. We buy the food at the pet store - seeds, sunflowers seeds, etc. We sometimes feed him veggies like broccoli or lettuce. He is housed alone and I don't know if he has been bitten by anything - maybe a knat if anything.

Is this a Syrian Hamster or a dwarf hamster?

Please give me a few mins to type an answer after you respond. I am a slow typist.

Joan

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

He is bigger than a dwarf,but we are not sure what he is.

He is what is know as a Syrian hamster. I suspect that the little bump you are feeling are scent glands that are usually found around the hips of a hamster. These scent glands are used to mark their territory. This link if you scroll down explains scent glands: http://www2.mcdaniel.edu/Biology/labanimalsweb/asyrainhamster/syrianhamster.htm

Hamster have scent glands in multiple areas on the body. These scent glands can become blocked and infected. If you notice the area get bigger or is wet, then at that point I would have him seen by a pocket pet vet. That can mean that the area is something more than the scent glands or there is something wrong with the scent gland. Hamsters are prone to lipomas which are benign fatty tumors as well as cancer, and sebaceous cysts. As I mentioned if there is enlargement in the lump, I suggest you have a the hamster checked and have a Fine Needle Aspirate done to check and see what you are dealing with. This is a link to locate some Pocket Pet Vets if needed: http://www.aemv.org/vetlist.cfm Please let me know if you have further questions and I will be happy to continue with you. My goal is to give you and your Hamster 100% Excellent Service. Joan

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Why would he have started sqeeking, and is his case life threatening.

The squeaking may be from a different issue. It can indicate happiness, but if continuous, something is wrong. Check to see if he is urinating and passing pellets. Male hamsters can get urinary blockages and that can cause him to squeak and if he has abdominal pain or cannot pass pellets that can also be serious. If the squeaking continues, then I would have him in for an exam hands on. This is information on squeaking: http://www.hammysworld.com/index.php?p=talk . I have given you a link to locate Exotic Vets above. If you cannot find one close by, I can get you some other Vets. Joan

Hi Reece,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Joan