Pet

Get Pet Questions Answered by Pet Experts

Pet

Looking for someone who might know something about Fish, black

mollies preferably! or someone that...
Looking for someone who might know something about Fish, black mollies preferably! or someone that can tell me how to take care of baby fish? as my Panda Molly just gave birth to a baby fish! all pet stores are closed in this area.. suggestions!?
6/13/2013
Joan
Joan, Vet Technician

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a Vet Tech and I have been working with fish for over 40 years. The first thing you need to do is to separate the babies, from the parents. Live Bearers are generally Cannibalistic and will eat their own young.

You have a couple of choices on how to handle this.

1)You can add a Net breeder in the tank and put the femal and male in or you can try and catch the fry(babies) and put them in the net breeder.

2) You can set up a separate tank for the adults and leave the fry in the tank.

3) You can add some breeding grass or some extra plants and float them in the top tank. This will offer a safe hiding place for the fry.

When feeding you can use a finely ground fish food or some newly hatched brine shrimp. The fry will grow fast, so as they grow, you can use the same flakes that you use with the adult fish. This link is about Breeding Mollies: http://www.ehow.com/how_5822704_care-freshwater-baby-molly-fish.html Please let me know if you need further help and I will be happy to continue with you. My goal is 1000% Excellent Service. Joan

Will they be ok until tomorrow do you think??? currently "Small Fry" is hiding in the top of the tank near the filter. There are other plants (plastic) in the tank where it can hide.. but I cant get the net until tomorrow afternoon when I get out of work at 2.. I may end up getting the new tank.. we shall see... Thank you for the link!!!

You may want to uproot the plants you have in the tank and allow them to float freely on the top of the water. Small Fry are known to be sucked into the filter, so checking the filter daily for the fry will be a wise move. I hope all works out well and the Fry grow up to be big and strong. Joan

Joan
Joan, Vet Technician

Hi Joan, Im sorry to bother you but I am a little concerned about my Molly.. her butt is up in the air, her face is in the gravel, but she is in the corner by herself. Her mate comes over every so often and then leaves again.. i am trying to determine if she is in labor or dying...

You are not a bother! I suspect that she may have swim bladder, which is the organ that allows a fish to swim normally. This can happen if the water parameters are off or if she is constipated. What I would like you to do is get her into a separate tank, with 1 teaspoon full of aquarium salt per gallon of water. This will serve several purposes.

1) It will relieve stress and give her extra protective body slime

2) It relieves swelling in the swim bladder and helps with constipation

3) It is antiparasitic, anti fungal and antibacterial

I would also test your water parameters for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates.

The ammonia should be 0, nitrites 0, nitrates 20ppm or less and PH 7.0.

Hopefully this treatment will help her. Please let me know if you have further questions. Joan

http://www.mediafire.com/download/xj9csnc7k9u7wof/IMG_8360.MOV I hope the video works.. but this is how she is right now.. i dont have anything to test my water right now.. so ill have to wait until tomorrow :(

I could not get the video to play, but this is a link about swimbladder disease: http://freshaquarium.about.com/od/problemsolving/p/swim_bladder_disorder.htm

I am hoping that the aquarium salt should help. joan

Joan
Joan, Vet Technician
Hi Jean,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Molly And Now "Small Fry". How is everything going?

Joan
I am quite sad to report that Molly and Small fry both died.. Molly died the night we talked.. Small Fry died a couple of days later.. It wasn't eating the baby food I got him..:( my two Mollie boys stayed at the bottom near where Molly died.. For a few days.. So I got them new company and they are all good now.. But man:( that hurt to loose them both :(. Thank you for the follow up:) means a lot.

Hi Jean,

I am so sorry for the loss. Hopefully the new fish will thrive and all will be well.

Joan

Joan
Joan
Joan, Vet Technician