Joan
Joan, Vet Technician
Experience:  Vet Tech for 35+yrs. Small Animals and Fish
5071285

What can I do when one week old baby rabbits are jumping up

What can I do when one week old baby rabbits are jumping up and move the fur and grass on top of them. Their eyes are still closed. I don't know how to make them stay in the nest.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am the moderator for this topic. I've been trying to find a professional to assist you, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected, as the professionals come online at varying times. I wonder whether you would like to continue waiting for an answer…hopefully it won’t take too much longer. Please let me know, and I will continue my search. If you’d prefer not to wait, please tell me, and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!

Camille - Moderator

The mother rabbit will only feed twice a day and you will not see her with the kits. Feedings are usually done midle of the night to early mornings. It is not uncommon for the babies to move around. I would just keep an eye on the nest to be sure that no animal is bothering the Kits. Some wild rabbits will build the nest out in the open. If you do see a baby that has moved far from the nest, you can gently put it back into the nest. It is an old wives tale that the mother will not care for them if they are touched by a human. The big key here will be to keep anyone from taking a baby and think they can raise it. Wild rabbits are comepletely different than domestic Rabbits in care, so it is best to let the Doe care for her young. This link explains about Wild Rabbits in the nest: http://www.rabbitsanctuary.org/about_rabbits/about_wild_rabbits.php

Please let me know if you have further questions. I will be happy to continue with you. My goal is 100% Excellent Service. Joan

Joan, Vet Technician
Experience: Vet Tech for 35+yrs. Small Animals and Fish