I have a egg shape goldfish in my pond, he is unable to swim

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: I have a egg shape goldfish in my pond, he is unable to swim and stay down. I treated him last year for the same symptom last year and he did fine until this winter, I have salt treated him again this year with no results. I feel bad as the winter here is very cold and the pond freezes over. Is there anything I can do?
Answered by Anna in 18 mins 9 years ago
imglogo
Anna
30+ years of experience
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Cat Veterinary, Bird Veterinary, Reptile Veterinary, Exotic Animal Veterinary

I'm sorry to hear your fish si having this problem. Unfortunately, in the fancy goldfish (because of that egg-shaped body) swim bladder problems are common, and once they occur, they are likely to come back time after time. For that reason, fancy goldfish often don't do well in ponds. The swim bladder is an organ that enables the fish to properly orient itself in the water. When something goes wrong, the fish may float, swim upside down, or at an angle. The best thing to do would be to bring the fish inside for the winter. You'd need to set up a tank using water from the pond so there wouldn't be a sudden temperature change. After the tank warmed a bit, there are a couple of things that may help the ailing fish. If it will eat, give it a couple of thawed out and peeled frozen peas. If the peas are too large, you can smash them between your fingers before putting them in. You might have to hold them right in front of his mouth. You can also add one teaspoon of aquarium salt per gallon of water. Keep feeding nothing but the peas for a few days. Here is a link with other ideas for treatment and more information:

www.netpets.org/fish/reference/freshref/swimbldr.html

If you must leave the fish in the pond, don't feed him anything. Feeding pond fish in cold weather can bring on problems like swim bladder disorder. Unless you want to call an aquatic vet, the salt will be the main thing you can d o for a pond fish at this time of year. There is a needle method often used by vets. You have to know exactly where the swim bladder is and put the needle right there. If you do it the wrong way, you're likely to kill the fish. I have never done this, and don't recommend it. It doesn't cure the problem, but temporarily 'fixes' it. It's likely to occur again. there's a little more about it on this site:

http://www.netpets.org/fish/reference/freshref/swimbldr.html

If you want to consult a vet, this link will take you to a directory of fish vets:

http://www.aquavetmed.info/index.cfm?PID=6

Your best chance of helping the fish without a vet would be to bring him inside. If you have more questions, let me know by clicking on REPLY. I hope your fish will recover.

Anna

Please be sure to rate only SMILEY FACES to complete this transaction, or, if you need more help, click on REPLY and let me know what else you need. Thank you.
Customer

Anna, What would be the result of bringing the fish inside for the winter and when could it go back in the pond?

Many goldfish do quite well living outdoors in the summer and in a tank for the winter. It's very important to never have sudden temperature changes in the water, so let the temperature change gradually with each move.When the water warms up to the 60's in the spring, put the fish in a large plastic bag filled with water from the tank. Then float the bag on the pond for 30 minutes. The water temperature will change gradually, and then you can release the fish.

Bringing the fish in now doesn't guarantee it will get will, but it will make it possible for you to treat it more effectively. The warmer temperatures will also help. Goldfish do best with water between 60*F and 70*F.

Anna
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Anna
logo
logo
logo
30+ years of experience
imglogo
Anna
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.