My Betta is two years old. He is staying at the top of his

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: My Betta is two years old. He is staying at the top of his tank suddenly but still eats twice a day. He eats Betta Bio Gold Pellets, 4 per meal. He recently crashed into the side of his tank, I since removed the glare causing his thinking he sees another fish. I'm guessing from what I have read this is what caused the sudden crash and yes, I changed the view back to what it originally was before he crashed. The crash caused a hemmatoma under one eye but he did not break the skin. I treated his water with Metafix as directed and after the treatment time changed 25% of the treated water. His face looks perfect, but he is still staying at the top of the tank. I read something about bellysliders. He (George) is just not swimming around. Although I know they slow down as they get older, my previous Betta was over three years old and I am doing one thing different and do you think this change may have something to do with his differences? I used the Aquasalt with my other Betta and Acqueon Betta Bowl Plus with George. Thank you for taking the time to help George & me. Sharon
Answered by Jav917 in 9 mins 9 years ago
imglogo
Jav917
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Cat Veterinary, Bird Veterinary, Reptile Veterinary, Exotic Animal Veterinary

Hello Sharon,

Have you checked the water parameters? Ammonia, Nitrites, Nitrates, and PH?

What size bowl are you using?

Are you using any filtration?

How old was George when you had gotten him?

Joan

Customer

Hi Joan,

I will check the water parameters, the tank is 6.5 gallons, the filteration is a three tier system. First in stack of three is a sponge, second a charcoal sack and top and last a page of porous stone like pellets.

I don't know how old George was, I am guessing around a year old as the pet store keeper stated most of the Bettas are upon arrival. He has not grown much from the day I purchased him, but he did grow. George is a beige colour and does not act anything like my first Betta, Harry, who I had three and a half years. Harry was orange and much more active in comparison,until the last six months.

Thank you,

Sharon

I have found all Bettas are all different in behavior. I have 3 in separate tanks. One gold, one blue and one red. The big issue when we buy bettas, is we do not know age and that is always a problem. One of my Bettas likes to lay in the branches of his plants, one likes to bubble next build and will have the whole tank top full of bubbles and the last one is a beggar when you walk by, comes right up to eat.

My biggest concern is George may have some problems with the water parameters. This can throw a fish off and Bettas are very sensitve if the Ammonia, Nitrites, or Nitrates are off in the slightest.

George's temeprment may be just age, but it does not hurt to rule out anything that may affect him or why help may not seem as active as he should be. If you check the water and the Ammonia is 0, Nitrites 0, and Nitrates 20ppm or less, with a PH at 7.0, we can rule that out. Please let me know if you have further questions. From what you have described everything sounds great for George. Joan

Customer

I checked the water conditions and the test strip results showed the GH - very high - the KH- very high, all other levels were perfect. I read in order to lower these two Hardness levels I can add - deionized or distilled water. I changed his water today and went back to the Aquasalt since it did so well with my previous Betta. These two levels retested resulted in the same Hardness parameters.

Should I add distilled water to reduce these two levels? I originally asked the question regarding the liquid Betta water prep or this Aquasalt. Is there one better or favored over the other? If so why? Or why not? Thank you for your assistance on George's and my future Betta's. \Sharon

Hi Sharon,

I like to use Bottle spring water and a distilled water combination with Bio Spira or Friztyme #7 to cycle the tank which will help balance the water parmeters. This should help along with using API Aquarium salt. I use 1 teaspoon full per gallon of water. I am not crazy about the Betta prep. Many of the products that are sold are pricey and not really effective. You can try this and see if it helps the Fitzyme#7 and the Bio Spira are a natural bacteria to start a tank and help remove the harmful chemical that affect the fish. Joan

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Jav917
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Jav917
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.