I have a betta whose fin tips were turning white, so we treated

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: I have a betta whose fin tips were turning white, so we treated him with maracyn 2 for fin rot. We did the 2nd treatment last night and although he was ok this morning his eyes are twice the size they normally are and he's pale and lehtargic.........did I do something wrong! please help, my 10 year old daughter is heartbroken, and this fish actually interracts with us- we love him!
Answered by Jav917 in 5 mins 10 years ago
imglogo
Jav917
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Cat Veterinary, Bird Veterinary, Reptile Veterinary, Exotic Animal Veterinary

What size tank is the Betta in?

Do you have filtration?

Have you done a water quality check?

What are the Ammonia, Nitrites and Nitrate levels?

Joan

Customer

10 gallon tank.

I have a filter but the maracin instructions said to remove the filter so the meds don't get filtered out. I removed the filter but the water is still circulating. Our PH is 7 and our ammonia is in the safe zone. I have my well water tested for nitrates and nitrites and it's always negative.

Are you using test strips for the water quality or the test kit where you put the water and drops in to test?

Customer

I'm not using either. I had the water tested at our pet supply store- they used a strip

The strips for testing water quality can be very inaccuarate. This is the Test Kit I find that works well: http://www.amazon.com/API-FRESHWATER-MASTER-TEST-KIT/dp/B000255NCI

The two problems that you have described are common with an ammonia Spike and High Nitites and nitrates. I suggest that you get an actual test kit and test at home. The Ammonia can cause the fins to shred and turn white as well as cause Popeye which is the swelling behind the eye. Popeye is not a disease but a symptom of a problem or underlying issue. You can read about this here: http://www.fishlore.com/aquariummagazine/dec07/fish-popeye.htm

We can try some first aid. The first thing we need to do is a 75% water change. I would use some Bottle spring water. Once that is done start the filtration again. We are going to add 1 teaspoon full per gallon of Aquarium salt. this helps to draw out the swelling from the eyes.

The Ammonia needs to be at 0, the Nitrites at 0 and the Nitrates 20ppm or less. These parameters can spike at any time with medication,excrement and feeding.

Hopefully we can get this under control with the water changes. If the water parameters are high a 25% water change needs to be done immediately.

The Maracyn ll can be used if needed, but I am hoping the water changes and salt will help resolve the problem without using medications. Joan

Jav91741039.8877851852
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Jav917
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Jav917
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.