Hello We have a very sick betta. First, about six weeks

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: Hello

We have a very sick betta. First, about six weeks ago, he stopped being able to swim. Seemed awake and aware, but couldn't get up to the surface or move around. Was constipated. We did the pea treatment, and he starting shitting every couple of days.

He still didnt regain much mobility.

Then he got fin rot. We seemed to have treated that successfully with eryhtromicin.

But he still never regained movement. More recently (last week or so) he has developed what appears to me to be significant breathing problems. Breathes rapidly and heavily, gills appear red on the inside, and, most disturbingly, his colour is getting very bad - grey/black in the body and white around one side of his neck.

He barely moves at all now. However, he is still eating and shitting, with difficulty given he inability to move.

We have tried, in addition to the erythromycin, betta blast and melafix (I think I have that name wrong)

Do you have any suggestions? Help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Answered by Jav917 in 17 mins 10 years ago
imglogo
Jav917
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Cat Veterinary, Bird Veterinary, Reptile Veterinary, Exotic Animal Veterinary

Can you tell me what type of tank he is in?

Do you have filtration?

Have you done a water quality test?

How old is the Beta?

Is he eating normally?

Joan

Customer

Hi

He is one year old (we bought him one year ago). He was in a filtered five gallon tank when he got ill. We moved him into a much smaller unfiltered tank during the first few weeks of treatment, but then moved him back to the filtered tank last week as he wasnt doing well in the smaller tank. This morning we moved him back to the smaller tank (two litres)

For the last couple of weeks, he eats a betta pellet a day for two days, and then several pieces of a pea on the third day. He poops every other day.

We did a water quality test (at the pet shop) and there was nothing unusual about the water

Thanks

The symptoms you are describing are those of Ammonia/Nitite poisoning. This includes the red in the gills, the rapid breathing and the shredded fins as well as some other signs you mention.

The Betta needs to stay in a filtered tank. I would do a 50% water change for the first time and then a 25% water change daily. I would add 1 teaspoon full of aquarium salt per gallon of water and stop using the other medications.

The stress of changing tanks in not good on the fish. The chemicals that are being used add to the Ammonia spikes, Nitrites and Nitrates.

The Ammonia needs to be 0, Nitrites 0 and Nitrates less than 20 ppm. These water parmeters need to be achieved to help the Betta heal. The Salt will help the Betta buil its immunity and heal as well as it builds a natural body slime to protect it. It is a great healing agent as well as works on fungus and bacteria. This is some information on Ammonia and Nitrite Poisoning and goes over what I was explaining above: http://www.oneworldinternetcafe.com/betta/betta_fish_diseases.html

Hopefully with getting the Betta re established in the tank and teh water quality correct, we can get your Betta doing better. Joan

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Jav917
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Jav917
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.