Pet

Get Pet Questions Answered by Pet Experts

Pet

My dog has diarrhea for 4 days now, but is showing no other symptoms of being sick. What's wrong?

My dog has had really...
My dog has had really bad diarrhea for 4 days now, but is showing no other symptoms of being sick his eating habits have not changed and he is still extremely playful. He is 11 months old and has a tenancy to chew things when we have our backs turned. He also tore a blanket open and ate the stuffing from it while we where asleep, and chewed the fur off of a tennis ball. I am not seeing any evidence of the tennis ball or blanket stuffing in his bm's. I cant find a vet open today to take him in and am wondering if he will be ok untill monday, he is eating normal and drinking plenty of fluids still?
2/18/2012
Dr. Andy, Medical Director

Dr. Andy :

Hello

Dr. Andy :

Well, waiting until Monday is another 2 [email protected]

Dr. Andy :

and its already persisted for 4. Certainly, if eating and drinking and no vomiting, that is all good news.

Dr. Andy :

I would imagine he won't necessarily get worse, but he may not get any better.

Dr. Andy :

We just don't know the primary cause, which could include:

Dr. Andy :

- Dietary indiscretion (eating something you do not know about)

- Stomach or intestinal foreign body

- Something that was given to them (new food, new treat, human food)

- Intestinal parasitism (not just the worms, but the microscopic bugs like Giardia and Coccidia). They can cause vomiting also, not just diarrhea

- Toxin exposure would be less likely, unless you have reason to suspect exposure to a chemical.

- Less commonly, endocrine diseases like Addison’s

Dr. Andy :

You can give some pepto-bismol, but don't keep giving it repeatedly hoping it will solve the problem.

Dr. Andy :

Pepto-Bismol or Kaopectate

You can give it every 8 hours. The average dose is 1ml per pound of body weight, and that is the TOTAL dose for the day. So, if a pet weighs 30 pounds, they would get a total of 30ml a day or 10ml every 8 hours. This is dosing for regular strength Pepto-Bismol. If you use maximum strength liquid, give half as much.

Although a veterinary examination is always going to be recommended, especially with vomiting episodes and/or diarrhea, here is a bland diet recommendation:

Boiled boneless, skinless chicken breast OR low-fat cottage cheese

And

Cooked white rice

*Never add on salt, pepper, oils, butter to any of the above

*Ideally, give 1/3 chicken or cottage cheese, and 2/3 white rice

Veterinarians will often prescribe some prescription bland diets as an easy alternative including

Science Diet I/D

*It is important to remember that if improving on a bland diet or prescription food like I/D, when you transition back to the old diet, do so gradually over 3-5 days.

If you observe any of the following, you'll want to get into a ER veterinarian for better supportive care:

- persistent vomiting or trying to vomit

- bad diarrhea or bloody diarrhea

- poor appetite that persists

- excessive panting to suggest nausea or pain

- bloated belly appearance or a tense belly

Dr. Andy :

Possible tests that may be recommended include some x-rays, to check for foreign body ingestion, and a fecal test.

Dr. Andy :

If possible:

Dr. Andy :

Bring in a fresh poop sample to the veterinarian. Ideally, within a few hours. Request that it be sent “OUT” to the laboratory instead of being looked at in the hospital (more accurate that way). We are not interested in only worm eggs, but also checking for the very common microscopic bugs like giardia and coccidia. These types of parasites will not be cured with over-the-counter dewormers. Giardia can also be difficult to identify on routine fecal tests, so ask your vet if they always add a “giardia elisa” to the fecal test. Here is more detailed information about fecal testing:

Fecal Testing

Dr. Andy :

Good Luck

Dr. Andy :

Please remember to click “accept” if you have found the responses helpful or informative.

My family greatly appreciates it. Thank you

_ _____________________________ ________________________________

If there is something I have not covered, just let me know.

After we conclude this question, you may always request me for future questions through my profile at:

The above link will lead you to my profile, where you can also bookmark my link.

I greatly appreciate when you click “ACCEPT” if you have found the advice helpful or informative. Receiving bonuses and feedback is happily welcomed.

This is necessary so I may receive credit for assisting you from JustAnswer. Even if you are a subscribing member, it is important to click accept.

REMEMBER: Even after you click "ACCEPT" and your question closes, you can still review our discussion or reply if needed. Unfortunately, I cannot legally prescribe medications or offer a definitive diagnosis without performing a physical examination, which is necessary to establish a client-patient-doctor relationship. I will always try my best to assist you making the best decision for your pet.

Customer:

Are you still there?

Dr. Andy :

yep

Dr. Andy :

I always wait just in case you have something to add.

Customer:

Thank you for your help

Dr. Andy :

I always try to provide the best answer I can

Customer:

Im just trying to figure out what I should do now

Dr. Andy :

You are welcome. Please remember to click "accept" to close question

Dr. Andy :

much appreciated

Customer:

He doesnt look like he is sick

Customer:

he is eating and drinking and still playing

Dr. Andy :

understood. and great he is eating without vomiting

Customer:

No vomit just diareah

Dr. Andy :

You can always try the suggestions I provided, but even if he gets better, STILL do that fecal test when you get a chance.

Customer:

I definetly will, again thank you for you help

Customer:

I will def accept

Dr. Andy :

your welcome

Customer:

If it is a parasite would he have other symptoms to look for

Dr. Andy :

Not really

Dr. Andy :

Often, can just be intermittent diarrhea.

Dr. Andy :

In fact, a pet could have giardia or coccidia and have intermittently normal poops.

Dr. Andy :

Customer:

like a stomach bug?

Customer:

Ok again thank you for all your help, have a great day.

Dr. Andy :

well, giardia can cause vomiting, but these are intestinal parasites.

Dr. Andy :

your welcome have a nice day

Customer:

ok, so if no vomit he is more then likely ok?

Dr. Andy :

even after you click "accept" you can always return to review question.

Customer:

Sorry I keep badgering im just worried about him

Dr. Andy :

No. It just means that he is stable for now. Can't say he is okay. He might have a parasite.

Dr. Andy :

After we conclude this question, you may always request me for future questions through my profile at:Dr. AndyThe above link will lead you to my profile, where you can also bookmark my link.

Customer:

ok great.. have a good one

Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Dr. Andy, Medical Director