I have two fan tailed fish in a filtered aqaurium, one gold and one black. The black had spot which I treated as

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: I have two fan tailed fish in a filtered aqaurium, one gold and one black. The black had white spot which I treated as directed after the treatment the gold fish seems to have on his sides now black scales and also on his fins, it doesnt look like rot, the water was checked and levels all fine the fish are both active and always looking for food. I did notice this morning that one little scale near his fin looks to be falling off. Is he/she OK
Answered by Anna in 7 hours 10 years ago
imglogo
Anna
30+ years of experience
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Cat Veterinary, Bird Veterinary, Reptile Veterinary, Exotic Animal Veterinary

I apologize that no one has responded to your question sooner. Different experts come online at various times. I just came online and saw your question. If you still need help, some additional information will be useful.

How long are your fish now - from head to end of tail?

Look closely at both fish - do you see any red streaks or spots on the fins, tail, or body? These may look like pink blood vessels.

Have you tested your water? If yes, what numbers did you get for ammonia and nitrites?

Where the scale seems to be coming off is the skin under it red or abnormal in any other way?

Are the black scales all over the fish or only in certain areas?

If it's possible, a picture of the fish would be helpful. You can upload one by clicking on REPLY, then go to the tool bar at the top of the field where you type. Click on the little paper clip icon. It's right next to the YouTube icon. Instructions will pop up. If you can't provide a photo, we'll work from the information you give.

Thank you.

Anna
Customer
Hi Anna, The fish is around 8 to 10cm in length, The water was tested on sunday by a Aquatic center and the ammonia was fine the Nitrates was up slightly up but not too bad as I had been feeding them too much now only feeding them once a day. Since sunday I have put in healthy Bacteria 25mls monday 10mls tuesday and 10mls today. I also put in product to help their waste. I see no red bits or blood vessels and actually I now cant see the tiny scale hanging that I saw this morning. The black is on both sides but more on one and its on the fan tail. graphicThey are both very lively and when I go to the tank they come swimming up looking for food. Here is a picture although the little monkey keeps on the move.
Thank you for getting back to me. Unfortunately, when I enlarge the pic, it becomes very blurry. From what I can see there are two possibilities. One is, as the pet store told you, that goldfish sometimes change colors as they get older. However, they do usually become paler, not darker or brighter. The other possibility is that this fish suffered damage from ammonia and/or nitrites at some point. Goldfish are extremely susceptible to this. When it occurs, redness first develops, but if the water conditions are corrected, the fish begins to heal. When that happens, the damaged areas turn black. This is actually a good sign because it means the problem has been corrected and the fish is healing. As long as no other symptoms appear and the fish remain active, you shouldn't have anything to worry about. If the black areas remain, you can safely assume it is a color change. if they gradually fade, then it was from ammonia damage. It will be a good idea to continue to test the water regularly, and immediately correct any problems.

If you have more questions, let me know by clicking on REPLY. I hope your fish will thrive.

Anna

(If you find my answer helpful, please click on the green ACCEPT button. Thank you.)
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Anna
logo
logo
logo
30+ years of experience
imglogo
Anna
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.