Pet

Get Pet Questions Answered by Pet Experts

Pet

I have a dog that is half German Shepard and half Golden Retriever,he

eats no people food and...
I have a dog that is half German Shepard and half Golden Retriever,he eats no people food and we feed him Canidae all life stages. He has a bowel movement about 2 to 3 times a day. Usualy 1 time a day his stool is very runny. He has a clean bill of health from the vet and all shots are current. He is very active and alert. Is there a better food to feed him?
11/27/2011
Dr. Debbie
Dr. Debbie, Veterinarian

Hello:

How recent was Max's last fecal exam from the vet?

How long has he been eating his current food?

Is the stool regular in color?

How long has he had the frequent bowel movements?

Dr. Debbie

We got max as a rescue from a friend of a friend. I do not know what he was eating before and i cant find there phonre number. He has been eating this food for about 5 months. The stool is normal in color and he has had the same frequency in bowel movements since we have had him. His stool was checked when he went to the vet when we got him in June.

Okay, thank you for that information.

I would probably take a stool sample in a ziploc (a loose one) to your vet for a fecal analysis. This will only cost ablout $15 and if this is the problem it will save you a lot of time and money trying to help him.

Short of that, I would definitely try him on a different food just to see. There are several foods out there for sensitive stomachs such as Iam's Sensitive Stomach, Purina HA and most of the upper end brands will have some form of "sensitive stomach" diet. I would try this just to see if it helps. Some dogs with inflammatory bowel can respond well to a diet that is formulated for the sensitive GI tract. You can also try adding some fiber to his food. You can do this by adding a tablespoon daily of metamucil or benefiber. You can alternatively use canned pumpkin.

Please let me know if you have more questions,

Dr. Debbie

Dr. Debbie
Dr. Debbie, Veterinarian
Dr. Debbie
Dr. Debbie
Dr. Debbie, Veterinarian