Pet

Get Pet Questions Answered by Pet Experts

Pet

My dog is chewing linoleum floor when i leave. Why

Customer Question
?...
My dog is chewing linoleum floor when i leave. Why ?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Pet
6/2/2011
Pet Specialist: Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist replied 6 years ago
Anna
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist

I'm sorry to see that no one has responded to your question earlier. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online and saw your question. If you still need help, some additional information will be useful.

Exactly how old is your dog?

Does she only chew the linoleum, or does she swallow it?

How long is she left alone?

Is she crate-trained?

Thank you.

Anna
1 1/2 years old
does not swallow the linoleum
left alone no longer than 3 hours
not crate-trained

thank you
Thank you for getting back to me. I'm working on your answer, and will post it as soon as it is typed up. I appreciate your patience.

Please don't reply to this post as that can lock me out so I won't be able to post your answer.

I'll be back shortly.

Anna
Thank you for waiting. Your dog is most likely chewing because she is bored when no one is around. I'll give you a couple of things to try. Use some Dog-Appeasing-Pheromones (DAP) in the room where the linoleum is. You can buy these in larger pet stores. They're pheromones that tend to calm dogs. They come in plug-in diffusers or sprays.

Second, many dogs are occupied by a filled Kong toy while their owners are gone. Kongs are hard rubber toys with a hollow center. They're also sold in most pet stores. The hollow center can be filled with canned food, plain yogurt, a few pieces of kibble or biscuit, cheese, and other goodies. They last longer if you freeze thew Kong and give it to the dog just before you leave.

If DAP and Kong toys don't solve the problem, it would be best to crate train your dog. While there several ways to crate-train, clicker training is my favorite method, and I've found it works with most dogs, if the owner is patient enough and takes it slowly. It is clicker training. Go to a pet store and buy a clicker. This is a training device that many dogs just love. The clicker makes a noise when you squeeze it, and you use that sound to let the dog know that she's about to get a reward. The first step in clicker training is called "loading the clicker." You simply have a handful of tiny treats - about pea sized. Make sure they are very special treats - bits of cheese, cooked liver or meat, etc. Without asking the dog to do anything, click and give her a treat. Do it about 25 times per session.You repeat this until she realizes the click means a treat.

Once she knows that, you use the clicker and treats to teach her things. At first, you don't give any commands, but wait for the dog to do what you want. Put a treat just inside the crate. Make sure Georgia sees you do that, and then wait for her to go after it. When she does, click and hand her another treat. So, she is actually getting two treats for stepping into the cage. After she does this several times, start saying, 'Kennel,' or whatever word you want to use, as you put the treat in. Put the treat a little further in to the crate. Continue the process until she will go all the way in, but don't close the door. If at any point, she acts skittish about the crate, back up to the previous step.

When she will willingly go all the way into the crate, click and give her a handful of treats in the back of the crate. This is called 'jackpotting,' and it helps a lot at this stage. While she's eating the jackpot, close the door and open it again. Don't leave it closed. Do only this for several days. Next, leave the door closed while she eats, then immediately open it.

Now you can give him her meals in the crate. But don't eliminate the click and treat. While she's eating, close the door, but continue to let her out when she's finished. At this point, you can start gradually increasing the time you leave the door closed. When she's up to about 30 minutes, give her a filled Kong toy, and leave the house for a few minutes. From here on, it's just a matter of gradually increasing the time she spends in the crate. Don't ever discontinue the click and treats completely, but you can taper off so she gets them perhaps every third time.

You can also use some Dog-Appeasing-Pheromones (DAP) in the crate. Use the spray kind inside the crate before putting the dog in.

sometimes dogs that become destructive while they're alone are actually suffering from separation anxiety. I don't think Georgia has that disorder right now, but you do want to prevent it from developing. I recommend that you find a way to keep her from reaching you when you come in. You could train her to the crate or use a doggy gate to keep her out of the room you enter when you arrive home. When you get home, completely ignore her. Don’t go into the room she’s in, and don’t even speak to her. She’s probably seeking any attention at all, even negative attention, such as saying no and holding on to her collar if she gets excited. She’ll may carry on in the crate or in the room you left her in, but ignore her. Often, when you first start doing this, the behavior will get worse for a time, so be prepared for that. If you’re consistent, your dog will find that such behavior doesn’t result in any attention. When she calms down, release her from the crate or her separate room, but continue to ignore her. You don’t want her to think that being released is cause for the excited behavior. Go about your business - put away the groceries, watch TV, whatever. After awhile, interact with your dog just as you would if you had been home the whole time.

If you have more questions, let me know by clicking on REPLY. I hope the above methods will work for Georgia.

Anna

(If you find my answer helpful, please click on the green ACCEPT button. Thank you.)

Anna
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist
Anna
Anna
Anna, Pet Expert/Biologist