MY BELOVED RED MALE BETTA HAS BEEN BRIGHT RED SINCE I GOT HIM AT FISH STORE 6 MONTHS AGO. NOW RED IS FADING TO MORE

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: MY BELOVED RED MALE BETTA HAS BEEN BRIGHT RED SINCE I GOT HIM AT FISH STORE 6 MONTHS AGO. NOW RED IS FADING TO MORE LIGHTER COLOR OVER PAST 7 DAYS HE LOOKS SICK HANGS OUT ON BOTTOM AND DOESN'T MOVE MUCH. THE WHOLE TIME I'VE HAD HIM HE WILL ONLY EACH FREEZE DRIED BLOOD WORMS... NOTHING ELSE. I RECENTLY ADDED PINK COLORED GRAVEL PET STORE RECOMMENDED FOR BETTA'S THAT HAS "LIVING MICRONISIMS IN IT. HAVE A FILTER ON HIGH RIGHT NOW SINCE LAST NIGHT. ALSO HAVE FAKE PLANTS FOR HIM TO REST ON TOWARDS TO OF TANK. I CONDITION WATER WIRH "SLENDWS BETTA" COMPLETE WATER CONDITIONER" AND TETRA AQASAFE WITH BIOEXTRACK. WATER TEMP IS 70 AS ALWAYS. ALL CHEM. LEVELS ARE FINE ACCOURDING TO 5 TESTS ON STRIP. I HAVE BEEN CHANGING OUT ALL THE WATER AND WASHING FAKE PLANTS AND BOLW EVER 3-4 DAYS AS I HAD BEEN TOLD TOO. NEVER SEEMED TO AFFECT HIM BEFORE. BUT, NOW I'VE HEARD YOU SHOULD ONLY DO A COMPLETE WATER CHANGE EVERY TWO WEEKS???? I REMOVE LEFT OVER FOOD RIGHT AWAY. TANK SIZE IS 2.5 GALLONS. HE LOVES IT SO MUCH HE SEEMS DEPRESSED IF I TRY TO PUT HIM BACK IN GALLON TAKE DURING WATER CHANGE. HE HAS BEEN FREAKING OUT... THIS IS NEW... WHEN I TRY TO MOVE HIM WITH PLASTICE CUP AS I WAS TOLD A NET COULD HURT HIS FINS. PET STORE SOLD ME ALL NATURAL "BETTAFIX" DROPS. I PUT THEM IN IN PROPER AMOUNT LAST NIGHT AND HE SEEMS A BIT BETTER THIS MORNING. SHOULD I CHANGE ALL THE WATER NOW... SHOULD I REMOVED PINK MICRO GRAVEL HOW OFTEN AND HOW SHOULD I CLEAN SHOULD I ONLY DO PARTIAL WATER CHANGES EVERYDAY? WHAT DOES IT MEAN TO ACCLATMATE BETTA BEFORE PUTTING IN FRESH CLEAN TANK? WHAT AM I DOING WRONG???? I JUST DON'T WANT HIM TO HURT BECAUSE OF ME DOING SOMETHING WRONG. DO YOU THINK IT'S SOMETHING ELSE? THANK YOU IN ADVANCE..... I REALLY LOVE THIS FISH!
Answered by CYBERCALL in 12 hours 11 years ago
imglogo
CYBERCALL
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Dog Veterinary, Cat Veterinary, Bird Veterinary, Reptile Veterinary, Exotic Animal Veterinary

Hi.

You wrote-"WATER TEMP IS 70 AS ALWAYS". This, the usual water temperature, is actually a fundamental problem for your betta. Bettas require a steady water temperature of 80f degrees in order to thrive so what I recommend be done in order to fix this is add a water heater to the tank and gradually raise the temperature to 80f degrees and keep it there. The proper water temperature will greatly help the fish feel better.

In addition to adjusting the water temperature I'd suggest adding some aquarium salt to the water, add 1 teaspooon.

It would also be beneficial to the fish to change 1 gallon of water once every 5-7 days whilst adding the corresponding amount of aquarium salt which would be a little less than 1/2 teaspoon.

It's also important to not overfeed the fish. Feed only a small pinch of food once a day.

I'd continue treating with BettaFix as you've had some success with it. Keep treating for the next 2 weeks making sure to follow the directions on the product label.

Try to avoid adding excess products/water conditioners to the fish's water as they can intoxicate your betta. Aside from the BettaFix and aquarium salt you should only be using a dechlorinating product for new water that is to be added to the tank.

I believe by rectifying the water quality issues in the tank your betta should bounce back to normal assuming it has not been too profoundly affected.

Best wishes!

.

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
CYBERCALL
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
CYBERCALL
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.