Dr. Wally
Dr. Wally, Veterinarian
Experience:  20 years in Veterinary Field, Special interests include emergency medicine, nutrition, reproduction.
12284676

Do female pet mice have menstruation periods We have 3 females

Do female pet mice have menstruation periods? We have 3 females (sisters) mice. When I am cleaning their cage, I put them in a paper towel lined box until I am done. Occasionally I noticed a little bit blood on the paper.

Dr. Wally :

Good afternoon! I'd like to help you with your question. Can you tell me how old your mice are? Have you ever bred them or do you just have the females? How big is the spot of blood that you notice and is it with urine by any chance?

Customer:

the mice are about a year old (or just shy of a year). they have never been bred. and I just have females. the blood is a couple of very small spots and is not with the urine. you can actually see a little blood under the tail of the mouse. I can not say for sure if it is the same one each time. and I have been able to look close enough to see if it is coming from the rectal area

Customer:

I have not been able to look to see if it is in the rectal area

Dr. Wally :

Mice do not bleed with their breeding cycles, so the blood may be something else. First thought is that this is very dark urine or bloody urine, and it should be checked out. This is not normal if it is, in fact, blood.

Customer:

the urine seems to spread out, like liquid should. the spots that look like blood, are like a bloody area has been blotted on the paper towel. almost like little foot prints.

Dr. Wally :

I understand. When this happens, try to hold the mice by their scruff, turn them over and check them carefully. Check their feet, as this is a common place for blood- broken toenails, feet that get bitten. Check the tail as well, because mice do chew at eachother's tails. If the tank is a small one, consider expanding the room they have, as they may be fighting when you are not looking. If the blood is noticed frequently and you still can't find the source, see if a vet can help you. I would still be concerned even if it is a little blood if you see it all the time.

Customer:

Thank you very much for your help. Have a great day :)

Dr. Wally :

You are welcome! If you are satisfied with your answer, please click ACCEPT so I can get credit. thanks!